Question Backplate risk of cutting wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel as though I’m channeling Tobin, but I did once get a pinch flat in my wing from a backplate corner — not during dive ops, but from packing. Now I detach the wing and pack it inside the wetsuit.
Those topics were food for 600 post blow out threads as I remember.

So how often do you dive upside down on a picnic table? In other words, what's actually happening while your in the water? Generally the wing is going to either have air there, and be floating up and away from the plate, or more likely if you're slightly heads up the wing will be compressed. Either way, it's not going to be pressing against the plate.

So how often do you dive upside down on a picnic table? In other words, what's actually happening while your in the water? Generally the wing is going to either have air there, and be floating up and away from the plate, or more likely if you're slightly heads up the wing will be compressed. Either way, it's not going to be pressing against the plate.
I will have my buddy check my rig in the water this Saturday, gonna do some exploration at a site I’ve never been to.

Go to the hardware and buy a nice new file, medium size, fine to medium cut.
Take your time and round it over. Sip your coffee or your beer and work on it at your leisure. Sand it a little after to deburr it. Do the top edge too so it doesn’t start to cut your webbing.
Don’t forget your ear plugs because that screeching of the file can sometimes pierce your eardrums.
Don’t be scared, just do it.

Or do it in 10% of that time on a belt sander. Just sayin'.

But generally, I have never, ever seen this happen. You can add that tot he long list of stuff I've never seen happen, but still...

I went out to the lake today for some diving and hotdogs, and everything went pretty well. However, when I was breaking down my kit I noticed that while inflated, my wing was tucking underneath my backplate and causing an abrasion risk.

I could play around with the cylinder position some but I believe it will still cause it to push in. Would it be wise to put some kind of tape or cushion on the bottom edge of the backplate, as well as to round the edge down with sand paper? Would duct tape work? Is there some kind of water-resistant tape? Flex seal maybe?

*The picture is of the remaining space beneath the bottom of the plate
FWIW those Apeks PSD wings are virtually indestructible. I have thousands of dives of abuse on mine and it looks practially new. They are streamlined and bulletproof.

FWIW those Apeks PSD wings are virtually indestructible. I have thousands of dives of abuse on mine and it looks practially new. They are streamlined and bulletproof.
If you have experience with the PSD wings, can you tell me if I webbed my plate backwards? The two grommets are of the same style face towards each other, and when I tighten my cam bands it marks up the grommet face.

I will attach pics of the 2 different grommet faces, let me know if they are supposed to be opposite towards each other or if it is just going to mark it up regardless. One picture shows the damaged face.

I am aware I’m over obsessing over nothing but I like to be told if I’m doing stuff wrong, so thank you to everyone for the patience and hand holding.

Attachments

• 359AF4FF-EC5B-4F11-B927-A6FCD9147011.jpeg
    359AF4FF-EC5B-4F11-B927-A6FCD9147011.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 5B0A4016-57ED-46D8-AA0F-4D8AF8D0B2F6.jpeg
    5B0A4016-57ED-46D8-AA0F-4D8AF8D0B2F6.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 22
The standard design is to suffer grommet-swobble, this is why I remove all grommets

Makes friends with someone who owns a belt sander and round the edge

That friend would want to be a really good friend, although my plates are 1/4" thick

021.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom