Veterans learn to dive for Free in PA and NJ! Liquid Therapy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Teaching vets in bp/w set-ups makes sense, especially since that is your specialty, and vets do tend to be more technical equipment oriented people than your typical vacation diver type of student might be.

Well, I am not sure about it being my "specialty" but those that know me, know I prefer the BP/W. I was a newbie diver when I tried my first loaner homemade plate and Oxycheq 18lb wing, so it is not actually a "technical" divers preference :wink: I learned in a jacket style and rented several before I purchased my "luna" which at the time was the best fitting of all the jackets I tried. The first time I dived a BP/W I was converted and never went back and now consider it a lesson learned that I share with my students.

Our confined training is still done in the jacket style BC's for 2 reasons - first, worldwide, jackets are the main BC available for rental and second, we want them to feel the difference between the 2 :D For Open Water we put them in BP/W's.

As for the vets, I do hope to build a community of local divers who come out regularly to Dutch. I know that's how I developed my skills and met awesome buddies, which resulted in enjoying my dive vacations more.

Speaking of which, I hope your having an awesome time in Bonaire!

This is an incredibly generous and significant offer you are making of not only your "time and talents," but also your "treasure." Some donate their time and some donate their money, but you are doing both!! Way to go.

Thank you so much for doing this for our veterans and active duty personnel. And thank you to all on the thread who are looking to contribute to the success of your project.

United States Navy, Retired.

This is an incredibly generous and significant offer you are making of not only your "time and talents," but also your "treasure." Some donate their time and some donate their money, but you are doing both!! Way to go.

Thank you so much for doing this for our veterans and active duty personnel. And thank you to all on the thread who are looking to contribute to the success of your project.

United States Navy, Retired.

Thank you for the kind words! I am employed full time and you are right, my time is at a premium now spending most of it on Liquid Therapy.

My first certified veteran was also retired Navy. My company employs 40% veterans and he is one of them. He has been a patient guinea pig and I have sort of traumatized him with all the start up shenanigans, "what do you think of this logo? will you let me take pictures of you and post them? will you read my mission statement? oops, I forgot to explain something, do that skill again...." He is on my website in the student section, we are both grinning from ear to ear, because it was a long journey to get to that moment in time.

The time in the water with the veterans makes all the pita admin stuff totally worth it!

Awesome.

I got into Scuba while I was deployed to Afghanistan. Rick Murcar (then a Captain, now Pres of NACD) did a Scuba brief and arranged Open water courses for interested people while we were on our decompression leave in Cyprus. That was 2011 and I've been hooked since.

Awesome.

I got into Scuba while I was deployed to Afghanistan. Rick Murcar (then a Captain, now Pres of NACD) did a Scuba brief and arranged Open water courses for interested people while we were on our decompression leave in Cyprus. That was 2011 and I've been hooked since.

Thank you! I am know of Rick, but never met him personally, I am a cave diver as well.

Cyprus must have been great diving! I started diving in 2007 and also have been hooked since then :)

Had fun today meeting Spack9 and getting him back in the water! We did a refresher and he did great :). Hope to get him out to Dutch Springs soon and train up some buddies for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom