Veterans learn to dive for Free in PA and NJ! Liquid Therapy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Liquid Therapy, is a free program that gives veterans, and active duty military members an opportunity to discover scuba diving, at no cost to them. I am starting this thread to show my support for a new program, and to invite fellow divers to spread the word to any vets you may know who would like to learn to dive, and to invite divers to help support this free program.

Most of us in our sport already realize the therapeutic value of the time we spend under the water, the healing, relaxing effects of scuba diving.There are several good adaptive scuba programs currently available for physically disabled veterans, helping them discover a sport that they can fully participate in, even after major life changing injuries.

My friend realized, working with military personnel, both active and veteran, that not all wear their injuries on the outside. Liquid Therapy Diving has a bit of a different mission and serves a larger population. All veterans who are able to dive are eligible to participate, so a disability rating is not required to be eligible for the free training!

Liquid Therapy is the brainchild of ScubaBoard member, drydiver, and she has spent the last 2+ years developing her concept. She finally has the program in motion, has satisfied all of the Federal paperwork it takes to set up this non profit, and has certified her first veterans, all totally funded by her personally up to this point.

If you know active duty military or veterans in the NJ or Philadelphia area, give them a heads up, if you think they might benefit. If you are a vet or currently active duty yourself, this is available to you too.

Visit Liquid Therapy's Facebook page or the website, to see what the program is all about.
Liquid Therapy Diving
www.liquidtherapydiving.org

Donna, you rock! You have far, far more drive and ambition than I do, to dream of this way to THANKS! to our vets, and to take on such a huge undertaking, making it a reality!

Last edited:
Liquid Therapy, is a free program that gives veterans, and active duty military members an opportunity to discover scuba diving, at no cost to them. I am starting this thread to show my support for a new program, and to invite fellow divers to spread the word to any vets you may know who would like to learn to dive, and to invite divers to help support this free program.

Most of us in our sport already realize the therapeutic value of the time we spend under the water, the healing, relaxing effects of scuba diving.There are several good adaptive scuba programs currently available for physically disabled veterans, helping them discover a sport that they can fully participate in, even after major life changing injuries.

My friend realized, working with military personnel, both active and veteran, that not all wear their injuries on the outside. Liquid Therapy Diving has a bit of a different mission and serves a larger population. All veterans who are able to dive are eligible to participate, so a disability rating is not required to be eligible for the free training!

Liquid Therapy is the brainchild of ScubaBoard member, drydiver, and she has spent the last 2+ years developing her concept. She finally has the program in motion, has satisfied all of the Federal paperwork it takes to set up this non profit, and has certified her first veterans, all totally funded by her personally up to this point.

If you know active duty military or veterans in the NJ or Philadelphia area, give them a heads up, if you think they might benefit. If you are a vet or currently active duty yourself, this is available to you too.

Visit Liquid Therapy's Facebook page or the website, to see what the program is all about.
Liquid Therapy Diving
www.liquidtherapydiving.org

Donna, you rock! You have far, far more drive and ambition than I do, to dream of this way to THANKS! to our vets, and to take on such a huge undertaking, making it a reality!

Thank you so much Jim for the kind words and spreading the message :)

Yes, huge undertaking, indeed!! Our Awesome Sox ROCKS!!!!

Awesome indeed- the dedication and care it takes to see something like this through to the beginning is a little amazing. Big applause Donna!

Donna, in our short time at Beneath the Sea, when you told me about your project, you never had a chance to really explain what inspired your to imagine, let alone to take on making such a huge project a reality.

I'm curious what made you think of offering free scuba instruction to vets?
Also, what can we, friends and fellow divers do to help?

Awesome indeed- the dedication and care it takes to see something like this through to the beginning is a little amazing. Big applause Donna!

Thanks Eric! You are right actually, this has been a bit of a labor of love and I only certified my first veteran last August, 2 years after the idea was recommended by a coworker, also a veteran.

As far as PADI was concerned I was an AOW diver and had to complete Rescue, Divemaster and Open Water Scuba Instructor before I could even start. Since then, the rest of the challenges have been on land :wink:

Donna, in our short time at Beneath the Sea, when you told me about your project, you never had a chance to really explain what inspired your to imagine, let alone to take on making such a huge project a reality.

I'm curious what made you think of offering free scuba instruction to vets?
Also, what can we, friends and fellow divers do to help?
The medium length story is that my employer hosted an event for the Philadelphia Veterans Multi Service center offering the recruiting and HR perspective and tips on resume writing and interviewing skills to the veterans. Afterward he and I and some other HR members were talking and I said I should probably offer to volunteer more and help rh individually. The recruiter said, anyone came do that, I should share my "liquid therapy" with them instead. To hear my manager retell that story, I had a twinkle in my eye and she could see the wheels turning.

That was October 2013. I have been fortunate to know both active duty and veterans and hear how much they sacrifice to provide the freedoms I enjoy. The combination of both inspired me to start and continue the process of founding a non-profit 501(3)c organization to do exactly that.

Being the age I am (old, for the slow readers) I have known a large number of vets from Vietnam Nam. I did not serve, but a large number of my friends my age did, and they all, without exception, came home damaged, and unappreciated for the huge sacrifices that they made.

Seeing you go out of your way to say THANK YOU to our Veterans, and those serving today, so many who suffer so much in silence, has really sparked my admiration for what you are doing!

Donna do you accept used dive gear if so I will sort through my stuff and send what I can.

Also I want to thank you for what you are doing I did two combat tours in Viet Nam and know what your program will mean to those Veterans who partake in it.

Thank You again !!

Back
Top Bottom