Vest, Core Warmer, or new suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I've finally become a warm water wimp. Earlier this week I actually bailed on a second dive because I was freezing. I was wearing a 3mm Gold Core which has always been enough for me, granted it is Feb and the water is a little cooler. Back in the summer I was diving in just a bathing suit and rash guard. The Henderson is a few years old, but it doesn't have an incredible amount of dives on it, so I don't think it's compressed.

Do you think it's time for a new suit...and possibly upgrading to a 5mm?
Or considering the fact that I still dive without a suit in the summer, would a 3mm vest or core warmer over my full suit be enough for those few winter months when the water is colder?

I've finally become a warm water wimp. Earlier this week I actually bailed on a second dive because I was freezing. I was wearing a 3mm Gold Core which has always been enough for me, granted it is Feb and the water is a little cooler. Back in the summer I was diving in just a bathing suit and rash guard. The Henderson is a few years old, but it doesn't have an incredible amount of dives on it, so I don't think it's compressed.

Do you think it's time for a new suit...and possibly upgrading to a 5mm?
Or considering the fact that I still dive without a suit in the summer, would a 3mm vest or core warmer over my full suit be enough for those few winter months when the water is colder?

Depends on how cheap you're feeling today. I got my 2mil core warmer for $25 new. Got one for the wife too it was such a good deal.

That said, I don't own anything less than a 5mil. And I'll tell you I got a Mares 5mil with a zip in the front. Best idea ever. If I'm hot, I unzip the front and its like a 2 mil. If its cold, up with the zip - while on the dive. I love the damn thing. Bought my wife one but had to have it shipped in from France. Best move ever.

I should have added that I hate heavy wetsuits. If I'm going to need anything more than a 5mil I'd probably go for a warm water drysuit instead. Guess I could always try the vest or core warmer and if I'm still cold dump everything and get a 5il full suit.

I dive up north (45°F-55°F at the thermocline) in a 3mm. Underneath I have a Henderson Pololefin jumpsuit and a 3mm vest. Sometimes I add a second jumpsuit. I'd go with adding the jumpsuit because it has no bouyancy.

Damn you've got some thick blood...even for someone up north. I used to dive dry in water that cold.

Jumpsuits don't really add much thermal protection either, though. They may help a little when layering, but I was so cold I was shivering.

I get cold very easily and have tried almost all the different combos. 3 mi plus core warmer, 3 ml plus farmer john, 3 ml plus shorty, 3 ml plus Polyolefin and 5 ml alone.

My personal experience...

The Polyolefin provided the least add warmth. All the others worked well. My recommendation is start with a core warmer. It will give you the most versatility. As the temps drop or your cold tolerance changes again and you need more, then get the 5 ml. You then have 4 options for diving, 3 ml alone, 3 with core, 5 ml alone and 5 with core.

Also consider added some type of head covering, hood, beanie or Eric's favorite the Scap shullcap

The SCAP Neoprene Skull Cap at LeisurePro

I'd suggest trying the vest, with the suggestion, based on my own WWWimpiness, to get a vest that has the zipper located opposite from the zipper on your wetsuit. For example,(my own gear) if the wetsuit is rear zipped, get a front zipped vest. It significantly reduces water entry at the zipper. BTW, I tried a slipover vest (no zipper-do they still make those?, and I felt strangled as I tried to put it on.

To extend range of my 3mm I use a 3mm hooded vest under the suite

A two piece 3mm with a hood adds core warmth (with the chest high pants) and head warmth. Also open cell, or the smooth finish inside helps a lot. A lot warmer and more comfortable than a one piece 3 with a vest over it.

I think its very personal what actually works for you. I have just returned to the UK from Dahab where the water was approx 21C (70F) I wore a 3mm seac-sub shorty under a 3/2mm surf wetsuit (Odyssey - surfer suit, cheap) and was perfectly warm. These suits are mine and do fit me. The shorty is a wee bit tighter than the full suit hence wearing it underneath the full suit. I was diving with people wearing 7mm Mares rental suits that were cold. Some of them had shorties over the top too! I suffered no suit flushing which the others did complain about.

I have no idea what the water temperatures are where you are but in your shoes I'd look at getting a 3mm vest or shorty to go over your 3mm suit - that gives you 6mm over the core which will make a huge difference to your warmth. I like the option of wearing both my suits together, the full suit or the shorty. I feel I'm sorted for warm water diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom