Vest, Core Warmer, or new suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having made a few winter dive trips to Florida, I have noticed that some winters are just colder than the others. Some comments

-Air temps matter. You are much warmer on dive 2 if you stay warm between dives. Have a boat coat or rain gear to stay warm

-The head is a large source of heat loss. Get the head covered with Beanie or hood.

-Wear gloves if you do not do so already

-Depth matters. It will compress the suit. As noted flushing suck heat.

-It isn't just the thickness. I replaced a 5mm with a 7mm Henderson hyperstretch. The 7mm is more comfortable and easier to move around in then the old 5mm semi-dry.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the vest. I don't think a core warmer would fit that well over my suit since it has pockets. I also like the versatility of the vest. I can wear it with a bathing suit if it's a little too cold for a rash guard, but not quite wetsuit weather.

Next question...since I'm laying this over a full suit should I go up one from my normal size?

My guess would be no, but just checking since it's been a while since I've layered suits.

I didn't get a vest. Instead opted for a Bare Chillguard. Works a treat and no extra buoyancy. Still need to ensure staying as warm as possible between dives. Make sure you've eaten enough of the right foods in a timely manner before your dives. Your furnace needs fuel. Wear a hood or a cap. I have both the scap (previously recommended in this thread) and a hood. As dive days go along, I start to wear the scap and will move up to the hood if necessary.

Just get a custom fit wetsuit. Cold problem solved.

Most common cause of cold is too much water flow through the suit due to poor fit. No one has an average body. So off the rack wetsuits fit no one.

Adding another layer that also does not fit is a waste of time.

Next question...since I'm laying this over a full suit should I go up one from my normal size?

My guess would be no, but just checking since it's been a while since I've layered suits.

I wear my hooded vest under my full suit. It works for me. I find I can dive water 5 deg. cooler very comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom