Very strange thread -- would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look around here and see how many posts and even entire threads you can find on how under trained and unworthy divers who aren't trained to the particular ideals of various people.

Yep, and some of the most vocal critics who hold this view are considered trolls on the DIR forum.

I grabbed onto DIR above as it happens to fit the particular discussion on this thread specifically. However, as it pertains to experienced divers on this board who are into more ' hard core' training, as Lynne is, it really doesn't matter if it's DIR or whatever agency.

That's my point. I guess I've seen you bring this "My horrible experience with DIR divers" on multiple occasions, even when, here, you admit your point isn't specifically related to DIR. I'm just respectfully suggesting that the gripe you hold from this obviously traumatic and memorable experience is more justifiably targeted at the specific jerk divers in question and not with any particular organization or diving system that they may or may not be a part of.

I've not heard the rant before but this was immediately what I thought because people of ALL walks complain about poor training. And they often complain about the poor quality of training because they, like I, have seen an arrogant OW/AOW/EANx/DM Candidate bragging of all their skill and experience all while putting their tank on upside down and breathing off thier console.

That's my point. I guess I've seen you bring this "My horrible experience with DIR divers" on multiple occasions, even when, here, you admit your point isn't specifically related to DIR. I'm just respectfully suggesting that the gripe you hold from this obviously traumatic and memorable experience is more justifiably targeted at the specific jerk divers in question and not with any particular organization or diving system that they may or may not be a part of.

That's my point. I guess I've seen you bring this "My horrible experience with DIR divers" on multiple occasions, even when, here, you admit your point isn't specifically related to DIR.

Within the post you're responding too, I don't mention DIR, or even diving, at all.

I don't recall referencing any personal experiences here involving DIR within this thread except to state:

The elitist image of DIR is only perpetuated by a few, but they're so good at it. It's unfair that it gets associated so readily with the entire DIR crowd, but that's human nature.

In the specific aspect of the thread you are responding to, I implicitly equated DIR and other highly trained divers to the most skilled, trained, brave, and professional individuals it's ever been my good fortune to work with. I'm sorry you find that somehow insulting.

I'm just respectfully suggesting that the gripe you hold from this obviously traumatic and memorable experience is more justifiably targeted at the specific jerk divers in question and not with any particular organization or diving system that they may or may not be a part of.
I wrote responding to TSandM who specifically brought up DIR/Tech/Cave, I used 'DIR' in my response to her. I responded to her post. I did not say anything negative against DIR. I spoke about perceived attitudes.

I did not speak to diving systems, and the only comment I presented about a specific agency was to note that GUE is trying to distance itself from the DIR moniker.

I did note that individual divers on this board demonstrate an attitude of elitism and look down upon recreational training. I'll stick by that statement, anyone who wants to can do a search for threads with 'PADI' and 'standards' in them and find plenty of examples on their own.

I'm sorry you have a problem with me, but not only are you reading far more into my comments than was intended, you're also clearly not even reading much of what I wrote here and are instead just deciding to take a shot.

Last edited:
Breathing off the console? That would be an entertaining trick to see!

It certainly would show a lack in training quality.

I'm sorry you have a problem with me, but not only are you reading far more into my comments than was intended, you're also clearly not even reading much of what I wrote here and are instead just deciding to take a shot.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4637374-post21.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3100493-post191.html

But given the ratio, I'm pretty sure being a jerk is either a requirement for certification or at least a normal bi-product of being part of that community.

It's not without context. I understand you have a serious problem with DIR, and it comes out in your posts whenever you bring it up. I'm just saying.

TS:

I'd be very intimidated by diving with you. I wouldn't want to because I'd feel like you'd spend your dive watching out for me and having it cut short by my air consumption. I wouldn't want your dive to be less than you'd hoped for, so I wouldn't want to pair up with you. I try to pick a buddy that's got the same plan and air consumption so we're both turning around at the same time. Imagine the handshaking:

"I've got about 60 dives, did AOW, thinking about Rescue once I get to 100. How about you?"

"Oh, nearing 1000 dives, PADI OW/AOW/Various specialties/Rescue. NAUI Nitrox. DIR-F (finally passed!), GUE Rec Triox (gave up), NAUI Helitrox, TDI Cavern/Intro; GUE Cave 1; UTD Tech 1; NACD Full Cave."

"Ah."

That doesn't mean that I think you'd be condescending. Rather, I realize my limitations and I'm simply not in the same class as you. It wouldn't make sense to pair up, any more than OFA1 would pair up with an ER doc.

Also, caves give me the creeps and you can have those all to yourself. I don't even like monofilament above me.

It's not without context. I understand you have a serious problem with DIR, and it comes out in your posts whenever you bring it up. I'm just saying.

In this thread, all I've said about DIR comes down to how well trained they are, or that it is unfair that they get a bad reputation from the actions of a few of their members

If you want to start a discussion about your problems with how my experiences shaped my own views of DIR, I'll be happy to engage you outside of this thread.

I don't even like monofilament above me.

I don't like monofilament anywhere NEAR me!

But the rest of that post is exactly what I want to figure out how to dispel. It's actually quite FUN to go out with new divers. I get to piggyback on their excitement at what they see. I don't mind a short dive, or a simple or shallow one (I spent an hour the other night with a max depth of 20 feet, because that's where the cool stuff to see was). I get plenty of long, deep or complicated dives. I might feel differently about diving off a charter, if I had spent a bunch of money to go out on the boat, but for shore diving? It's all about getting wet, and if I can do that and encourage a new diver to keep at it, it's an awfully good day.

...many divers on this board aren't interested in being considered the same as every other diver...

I'm staying out of all that other stuff but this does resonate with me. I have noticed that being "just a diver" seems a little passe these days and many people tend to need to jump from newbie to DM/Instructor and/or become tech aligned very quickly. Partly I think this is because of how SCUBA is currently marketed but I also think it speaks to the fact that people these days tend to want/need a title or letters behind their names in order to feel valid. Otherwise their opinion might not carry weight. Just being Joe diver isn't as impressive as being an ABC 123 MOTT 6 RB pilot - even though many Joe divers have thousands of dives to their credit. Sometimes it does seem there are a lot of overly qualified recreational divers out there. The same sort of thing comes up in terms of gear as well when some people insist that nothing less than top of the line gold plated titanium equipment will be safe for 30' rec dives.

I don't have anything against education per se but I also like to remember the day to day context I'm living in. You really don't need fighter jet training in order to fly a kite.

I'm just going through a similar experience as I have decided to return to school for a career change. In BC nurses now need to have Bachelor degrees and Physiotherapists need Masters degrees. Don't even ask about Prosthetists. Everybody needs to feel special I suppose.

None of this is directed at Lynne BTW, just some thoughts that the thread inspired.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom