Very scared after second pool lesson of Padi open water course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way to be supportive šŸ™„ I got my uncle into diving, he had a VERY shaky startā€¦it was all mentalā€¦he worked with a couple different instructors from the same shop. One was able to explain things better and cater to his specific needs, and he passed his OW course. What would have happened if people just told him to quit because the first couple of pool sessions he was nervous and couldnā€™t do some of the skills?
"Could not do some of the skills" is not the same as fear. You can encourage people who fail some tests to work and learn and eventually pass the test (like my wife worked hard till she learned how to go down to 20 ft w/o fins) but you can't teach an adult to overcome unconscious fear. Sure, a kid eventually learns not to be afraid of Santa, but in adults such fears won't just go away. They claim arachnophobia and claustrophobia can be cured by special treatments while vertigo can't; but, my point is, why waste your life on that? Maybe she'll enjoy opera or running marathons or trout fishing or tango dancing, whatever. Life is full of choices.

"Could not do some of the skills" is not the same as fear. You can encourage people who fail some tests to work and learn and eventually pass the test (like my wife worked hard till she learned how to go down to 20 ft w/o fins) but you can't teach an adult to overcome unconscious fear. Sure, a kid eventually learns not to be afraid of Santa, but in adults such fears won't just go away. They claim arachnophobia and claustrophobia can be cured by special treatments while vertigo can't; but, my point is, why waste your life on that? Maybe she'll enjoy opera or running marathons or trout fishing or tango dancing, whatever. Life is full of choices.

My bad, could not do some of the skills because he was ā€œpsychedā€ out from being underwater and uncomfortable in a totally different environment.

Did you really just claim an adult canā€™t overcome unconscious fear? šŸ˜‚

I think snorkeling is still part of the PADI training. Wife spend the first pool session pretty much just snorkeling back and forth and switching from snorkel to reg. Every now and then I catch some flack for not using a snorkel. I see it as just another dangly thing that I never use. I thought about getting a rollup snorkel so I can whip it out when someone complains.

Snorkeling (skindiving, really) is part of the course, but not permitted to be taught in the first pool dive.

Swapping reg and snorkel is pool dive 2.

Many agencies provide irrelevant and boring information to novice divers. The task at hand is you only need a few skills to master diving. Buoyancy being the main consideration. Trim: no one really cares if you dive like a seahorse. Mask clearing, equalizing, and not holding your breath as you move vertically in the water column. Dumping your weight belt, free-flow, gear removal underwater is more about being comfortable and confident.

Many agencies provide irrelevant and boring information to novice divers. The task at hand is you only need a few skills to master diving. Buoyancy being the main consideration. Trim: no one really cares if you dive like a seahorse. Mask clearing, equalizing, and not holding your breath as you move vertically in the water column. Dumping your weight belt, free-flow, gear removal underwater is more about being comfortable and confident.
What was your first OW experience like?

Hey there everyone,
Thank you all so very much for the replies, I did not expect to have so many people diving into this with me. I really appreciate that you all care so much, that feels like a whole lot of support, advice and ideas from divers. It is really super helpful. Thanks!!

I have read through everything but cannot reply to each and every one. But I would like to write down a couple of things.

First of all.
I appreciate my instructor and she is not a bad instructor. There are many things that the instructor does really very well. It feels like a person that has quite advanced technical skills. Very aware of what I am doing with my gear, etc. Notices many small things when it comes to technically doing everything right. So I honestly feel it is not a bad instructor (for the ones that are worried about that).

I think, that it might be possible that some instructors are more aware of the psychological component than others. Some might be aware that doing the techniques ok, does not necessarily mean that the person is also at ease. And some might not consciously hear it, when a student says he/she is scared, because other students might be more vocal and loud in their descriptions than others.

When it comes to solving fears.
I think that being able to address the specific fears, with some conversation about these things, would help. (which is what you are all doing here, so thank you)
So, not only a reply that says 'you did well', but a reply that helps to solve the thing that made someone afraid. It is kind to say that a student did well, it boosts some confidence. But addressing the fear would be very helpful.

For example, I said to her that taking the mask off for 30 seconds made me afraid, because bubbles kept hitting my eyes and nose, making me unable to see. And also the bubbles against my nose frightend me, I think now that it caused an instinctive reflex in my brain or something.. my brain probably registered the nose sensations as being underwater and drowning. If that makes sense.
I had to repeat to myself internally that I could actually breathe through the regulator, even though the nose felt like I could not.
It was all ok, I managed to do it well, and this was her reply to my story. 'You did well'.
But more helpful, would have been a suggestion to ease the bubble problem :)
I came up with it later together with my partner, I could just change the angle of my head.. so simple.
But in my state of fear I did not come up with that.
I also told her that my fear caused me to forget which button on the inflator was for up and which one for down. Which is very absurd because I know that I really know that.
The fact that I forgot, worried me. Because that is what the fear does. I said this to the instructor because I thought that it would make the instructor know that I was really afraid. But that did not happen.
I definitely have to become more vocal, and do see my flaw there.
But also think that the instructor could be slightly more receptive. Maybe.

So to make a very long story short. (sorry for that)
It is a good instructor, but maybe some more conversation about everything that feels scary or uneasy, would be helpful.

My partner helps me with this currently.
We address the things that feel like 'having no control' which helps.
I made myself write everything down and noticed for example that I am afraid of becoming too cold, because it makes it harder to think clearly.
For some reason I get super cold, even though it is an indoor pool, and even though I have a skin and an extra vest on. Maybe my body has some difficulties with keeping warm.
So I will look into finding something that is warmer.

Another worry that is hiding in my brain is about a reversed block. I experienced one three years ago, it did not take long but it gives a scary feeling because you cannot go up, and going up hurts.
The feeling of being out of control when it comes to this one, is caused by the knowing that both 'up' and 'down' can hurt. So pressing the inflator buttons, no matter which way, makes me nervous.
Because either way can hurt.
So I tend to, press them too carefully. And I tend to go slower than necessary. Trying to control the buoyancy a bit too much. This maybe explains why I might 'look' good, because I am not pressing the buttons too long and too much. And I am a bit obsessed about getting myself to float steadily.
I can imagine that an instructor would consider that a good thing, but the actual reason for it is rooted in a fear.

Anyway, I am trying to address these fears and creating solutions for them. I am trying to learn about reversed blocks and which 'warmer' suit I might need.
Maybe you guys have ideas and advice about that.

A couple of questions:
- Does anyone experience reversed blocks? And if yes, what helps you the most.
- For the people that feel cold easily. Which suit do you like to wear in tropical waters? and in 27 celcius swimming pools?
(we will be on vacation in some months, to the Caribbean, and from experience, I know that I get cold when I snorkel with my 2.5 mm skin shorty).
If I solve 'being too cold', I think I will think more clearly. I am kind of tiny/small, so I guess that is why I get cold.
Would you get a 3 mm or a 5 mm neoprene suit?

----
Edit:
I feel like trying the next lessons despite the fear.
I do want to learn how to dive, I love the ocean and the beauty underwater. I am a good enough swimmer and really enjoyed swimming in the ocean all my life. I think I should be able to do it if I can find my way through the fears. I would like to try.
And my partner can help me.
Talking about it here with you guys, is helpfull. It made me feel a little less silly, and a bit more in control.

That is a fine defensive attitude to take.

There was me thinking you were in your twenties :cool:

Have fun on the course!

Thanks chief, you know why I'm scared chief, I'm scared because I'm scared that the other guy doing the
course is going to turn up with an ill assembled sidemount rig with loop bungees the size of bridge cable
that he doesn't know how to dive with regs assembled with incorrect hose lengths and back wards because
he's using two right handed valves on empty tanks that I have to take home to fill because I'm a nice guy

So once again I'm paying a thousand bucks to watch baby sitting

Tell you what great instructor, she's very patient and I'll be able to buzz around whilst she sorts him out

This is why I'm always scared chief

Solo, exactly perfectly how I like it

Keep in mind, they'll push you if you appear to be doing well.
@Juna this is one of the most helpful comments I have seen here. If they don't realize you are struggling inside and you are getting all the skills easily - especially the one that many newbies struggle with, they will continue to push you forward.

I think private sessions may be the way to go for you. With private sessions, you can ask to go over some skills again. Ask questions about the logic of doing things in a particular order. Have your partner with you so you can practice skills with the person you will be diving with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom