Very scared after second pool lesson of Padi open water course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel,

It concerns me that you don't understand that there is a whole slew of things that potential divers may need to know to maximize the return on their investment of time and money. It goes waaaaaaay beyond to the manner in which they speak to you. They can be super friendly, talk a good talk like a used car salesman, put you at ease, and yet your class is still a sh!tshow. My open water class was exactly that. "Oh you'll be fine", "it will be fun". They neglected to tell me how many things they'd skip. Remember that open water is a lot of material for a new diver to digest. The stance of "well, you should know as it was in the book" is while technically correct, but unrealistic as people don't retain every single thing in the materials.

The OP was rushed and appears to need some time to absorb material. A good instructor should be able to determine a student's comfort level, something that appears to not have occurred here (though I could be wrong, as I was not there).

Talking to the instructor was not the main point I made in my first reaction. Getting into a different kind of course was, one that doesn't have a commercially driven agency behind it. The fact that these courses are mostly offered through diving clubs and that you can talk to the instructor NOW THAT YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A PARTICULAR ISSUE is a bonus. My reaction was about what to do from this point onwards. Your point seems to be that talking to the instructor - even though you have no clue what to talk about - can prevent a situation as described.

But I am glad there's an instructor in the conversation who proves the first point I made in this thread so clearly.
I am amazed that both you guys want focus on a brand new OW student trying to have a detailed technical discussion with their prospective instructor, when in fact the original point was for the OP to go talk to their instructor -- or a new one -- and find out what the chemistry is between them. How can that possibly hurt the situation? Sure, you can be "sold a bill of goods" by a fast-talking salesman....but most instructors really do want to do a good job, it is just that some don't know how to do that with a student for whom it is not going well.

I am amazed that both you guys want focus on a brand new OW student trying to have a detailed technical discussion with their prospective instructor, when in fact the original point was for the OP to go talk to their instructor -- or a new one -- and find out what the chemistry is between them. How can that possibly hurt the situation? Sure, you can be "sold a bill of goods" by a fast-talking salesman....but most instructors really do want to do a good job, it is just that some don't know how to do that with a student for whom it is not going well.
I don't know how to address your incorrect perception. You are making gross assumptions on how I speak to students. I have developed an approach of low stress, high level of comfort. I explain what we are doing, why we are doing, how I am addressing stress factors so that their course is as enjoyable and educational as possible.

I should be able to answer every question they have. Based on my experience, I should be answering questions they don't know they should be asking.

I don't know how to address your incorrect perception. You are making gross assumptions on how I speak to students. I have developed an approach of low stress, high level of comfort. I explain what we are doing, why we are doing, how I am addressing stress factors so that their course is as enjoyable and educational as possible.

I should be able to answer every question they have. Based on my experience, I should be answering questions they don't know they should be asking.
LOL! Who is talking about YOU? My posts have been about the OP and how and why to talk to their instructor.
But, if the shoe fits...

The OP was rushed and appears to need some time to absorb material. A good instructor should be able to determine a student's comfort level, something that appears to not have occurred here (though I could be wrong, as I was not there).
There is no evidence in OP that the instructor is anything less than a good instructor. Notice the following from OP:
The first pool lesson went really well though,...
But internally.. psychologically I was slightly freaked out by everything. ...
Still. it was ok and I felt good about doing it well.
...I did well...I did well again..Again I did well... I did it all.
But internally... omg.. I was scared.

When I left the pool I was shivering and shaking, not sure if it was cold or stress. I think both...
I told my instructor that I was happy that I had done well, but internally I was quite scared. She replied that I did well. Which did not help me with the internal part.

OP's partner has correctly identified the problem:
My partner ...
He thinks that the problem is that I technically do things so well, that the instructor does not 'see' or notice my internal turmoil. He says I look very stable, quiet and ok on the outside.
I feel like I do 'say' that I felt scared etc. But it does not seem to register.
Here is the real problem:
I am not sure if I can keep my panic 'internal' then.

Juna, please do not keep the panic 'internal', you will eventually get into trouble. Express the panic externally, and do not proceed until all panic is resolved. There should be no ongoing panic while diving, that is dangerous!

After almost fifty years diving I'm still scared, I'm starting a cave course today and I'm scared, I'm always scared

To the OP, this post is having me rethink my approach to students to ensure I provide as stress-free open water course as much as possible.

I think most of the comments so far have missed a key issue. You have not been communicating your feelings with your instructor or the dive shop. It sounds like, from their point of view, you are doing outstanding. They have no reason to suspect that you need them to adjust the pace.
Exactly. If the instructor thinks you are a natural at this and nailing every task without concern, they are not going to dwell on each task. Just move on the next. Voice your concerns and if they still just want to plow through the course, find another instructor and share this experience. A good instructor will tailor their teaching style according to your needs.

Wife is doing the class now and she was very vocal about being nervous. They adjusted the course accordingly. Some people get it done in one or two pool sessions. Others take more. Take your time and have fun doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom