Very "light" scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd disagree that it's particuarly challenging to do a monkey dive, so long as your weighting is correct. Yesterday I just couldn't be bothered to lug the CCR, and the bailout, and the DPV down and back up a shore dive trail a second time...my first serious monkey dive (max depth 50' or so, hour of runtime) was the result, and it turned out to be quite effortless and freeing. Next time I think I'll leave the DPV at home and just enjoy the freedom of not having anything encumbering me but a single tank under my arm.

View attachment 186363

Here's the two things you got right, that the OP will be fighting with:

1. No wetsuit for you means there is very little compression based loss/change of buoyancy. OP plans on using a wetsuit.

2. Aluminum tanks, especially the standard 80's, are much easier to use than steel tanks, or even the smaller pony sized aluminum tanks. OP is planning on using a steel tank which is means the ballast and trim will be swinging all around.

For the OP, if you switch to octo length hose, and a angled swivel, and a aluminum tank set up like a stage bottle, you can weave D-Rings onto a weight belt and clip the tank off to the D-Rings by the nose.

The really nice thing about using an aluminum tank is that you can check out your weighting free-diving, and then just add a tank later. Also Dr.Lecter, that would let you get your hands free for a lot of the dive. I means that is where a lot of monkey diving comes from: using up stage bottles that were already ready to go.

Well, the setup is not necesailry unchangable. It is just convenient from a certain point of view. The wetsuit I plan to use is a 2mm shorty, so the buoyancy swing will be minimal. I do not have exact numbers but my guts tell me it will not exceed 0.5kg/1lbs in the depth range I want to go. The tank story is a bit more complicated. I plan to use a steel pony because I already have it and because there is a plane involved in all these. I can take a small pony with me on the plane but I do not think is practical to take a 11 liters aluminium tank. Of course I can rent it from the destination, but it's one more hassle I would preffer to skip. As for the harness, I already have a dive rite transpac which I also use with a wing for my doubles, so it would be good for monkey diving also (no wing, of course).

Just a quick update. I have perfected a setup which I use at pool, I go there 7-8 times each month just to keep me wet. Weigth belt has 4 kg on it and 2 drings. I have another belt which I keep around my torso and a 4l steel pony feeding a ffm ocean reef. With a 2mm shortie, all is ok, the buoyancy is perfect. I also use jetfins, they are quite heavy. This works fine in pool with fresh water. Perhaps for salted water I have to add 1-2kg to my belt.

Back
Top Bottom