Very Last Minute Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Very recently my schedule changed and opened up March 28-April 5 for travel. I'm looking for a last minute destination for at least four or five days, with one fewer dive day, of course. I'm open to shore or boat diving, but just want to get somewhere warm for a few days. I would prefer to stay stateside, but will travel internationally if it yields the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be traveling by myself, so will need to factor in single supplements, etc. if anything is priced for double occupancy.

Thanks!

No shore diving in Key Largo if that's a consideration.

What about a liveaboard? Takes care of the single supplement issue if you don't mind sharing a cabin. Or if they're not full, you may get your own anyway. More dives and the room/food is covered. They're all Sat->Sat. departures.

You might see if there's anything available on the Aggressor liveaboards. From your area, probably the Cayman or Belize boats could be options since you could get there early enough Sat. afternoon for the sailing. They're offering $500 off on all cruises starting today. Aggressor Fleet and Dancer Fleet - Luxury LiveAboard Diving - click reservations and you can find what's available.

The Cayman boat docks in Georgetown - 2 miles from the airport. I believe both Belize boats pick you up at the airport.

Blackbeards could be an option for a lot less money ($979+tx/fees) also. All you'd have to do is get to Nassau if they have space. And take a cab to the port. Bahamas Scuba Diving Liveaboards - Blackbeard's Cruises This close to departure I'd call - 800.327.9600 Space is pretty tight so don't bring anything extra. Also everything is shared, showers, the heads, etc. Most of the bunks are 4 to a room also. It's pretty much like camping at sea.

Also check Cozumel as I believe there's shorter flights there from the Midwest. My friends stayed at Villablanca Garden about 2 mi. from town. They work with three local dive shops and there's an average shore dive off the property. Nice thing is their single/double occ. rates are the same. Not a lot nearby otherwise though. Dive Packages | Villablanca | Mexico

Or Scuba Club Cozumel but that's more expensive IIRC. There's also affordable options in town, I just don't know any.

I just checked Indianapolis departures for all these destinations and they're all doable. Pricier flights but not too bad considering how close it is. I use this for research, you'll have to book with the airline/travel portal though. Matrix - ITA Software by Google

good luck,

Last edited:
What are your preferences for water temp? I like warm water and Florida, Bahamas, even Caymans will be colder in March/April; I would try to find something further south.

That is Easter week, it is going to be hard to find something available and reasonably priced at short notice. Florida will be crowded and expensive. You might try reaching out to a dive trip vendor like Caradonna or Maduro and see what they can offer. They might have options on "last minute specials" and "single diver specials"

Last edited:
Just so we are clear, you don't have to pay a single supplement unless you want the room to yourself. Nice to have, but bunking with someone else is not too bad either. Sometimes it works out to get your own room if the boat isn't full.

What are your preferences for water temp? I like warm water and Florida, Bahamas, even Caymans will be colder in March/April; I would try to find something further south.

That is Easter week, it is going to be hard to find something available and reasonably priced at short notice. Florida will be crowded and expensive. You might try reaching out to a dive trip vendor like Caradonna or Maduro and see what they can offer. They might have options on "last minute specials" and "single diver specials"

You bring up a good point about water temp. I do like really warm water. I dive in a drysuit in the summer in the shallows in Indiana if that tells you anything.

You bring up a good point about water temp. I do like really warm water. I dive in a drysuit in the summer in the shallows in Indiana if that tells you anything.

One time we did a dive trip to Nassau in late April and the water temp on the reef was mid-70s and I was freezing. If you like warm water then you need to look further south. I think that Belize and Roatan may be warm in the Spring but you should confirm that. I can't remember about Cozumel. I know for sure that the waters around Curacao and Bonaire will be about 80 F.

One time we did a dive trip to Nassau in late April and the water temp on the reef was mid-70s and I was freezing. If you like warm water then you need to look further south. I think that Belize and Roatan may be warm in the Spring but you should confirm that. I know for sure that the waters around Curacao and Bonaire will be around 80 F.

I dove off the coast of Oahu last year around this time with 72 degree water temperatures. The first dive was OK but the second after the surface interval was rather chilly. When I go back, I'll probably find a way to drag along my dry suit if I do another spring break trip.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

After doing some research, it looks like Curacao may be the winner. Decently accessible from the US via air and available accommodations. Tips on dive shops that will tote you to and from the dive sites?

Last edited:
...After doing some research, it looks like Curacao may be the winner. Decently accessible from the US via air and available accommodations. Tips on dive shops that will tote you to and from the dive sites?

I think that Curacao is a good choice for a warm water vacation at this time of year. You should post a query on the Lesser Antilles forum to get lots of recommendations for good places to stay and dive as a single diver. There's a lot of shore diving on Curacao but that often requires a car and a buddy. But there are plenty of boat dives too. Have fun!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom