Very Bad News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

I think to start with that we must educate our own countries, I think a lot of people are still eating these fish due to ignorance of the problem.

OnFloat it is just still all talk if YOU do nothing about it, I did and it costs me $1,000's every year to do it.

shellbackdiver1:
What do we do, take away the wheel?

In this case you have to look at it in terms of preserving the culture rather than "fish hugger hippies" protecting the fish. That would have a far more effective impact on the people that enjoy eating those kinds of dishes.

Basically; you can't just kick in the door and start pointing fingers. You make it seem you want to preserve the practice by eating less, not completely "taking away the wheel" so that populations can recover. You'd be surprised at how fast some fish populations could grow if people were to just stop slaughtering them and practice self-control.

But very few people understand this kind of concept for some reason. IMHO both of the current combatant sides are wrong. But as usual, people only see things in two colors. If only it were that simple..

DeepBlueDivers:
OnFloat it is just still all talk if YOU do nothing about it, I did and it costs me $1,000's every year to do it.

Spending money isn't always the best option. Shockingly: money isn't as important as you might think it is. You're dealing with people's mindsets here, plenty changing can be done without spending great amounts of money. Information and knowledge is free afterall.

Hi

Flying in researchers as most do not have the money to travel to do research, fuel for taking researchers around for a month on boats at about $195.00 per day putting them up, feeding them, and all the profit from 1 month business at my resort goes to the research, so that all has to come into the equation.

There are many people on this board that know what I do, I work very closely with www.Ecocean.org who are a non profit organization.

Hi MantaRey

Perhaps I did not explain fully, sorry I apologise for that, the money I put in is to help research, the more we can find out about the Whale Sharks I deal with, Population studies, migration routes etc etc the more power we have to go to governments to stop them being killed and to get them protected. Ecocean have achieved a lot have a look at http://www.ecocean.org/content/blogcategory/1/83/

The manatee bandwagon seems to be pretty powerful. Look at all the no-wake zones around here....and there's certainly not any manatee on a menu anywhere.

As much as I feel the manatee stuff has gone overboard, I guess the same approach could be taken in this case.

Then as it's been pointed out already, it takes money to fight politics and I don't foresee Jimmy Buffet starting another green group anytime soon.

I already boycott Disney...I mean avoid going there.

They serve it at weddings in Japan (Disney) I heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom