Very Bad News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueResort

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All

This is the worst news I have seen about our oceans in a long time, here are some quotes from the web link I am posting at the end.

Less than 1% of oceanic whitetip sharks--thought to have been the most common warm-water oceanic shark just fifty years ago--remain in the Gulf of Mexico today. "This tragedy is caused by continued overfishing and the demand for a single luxury item--sharkfin soup," says Dr. Ransom Myers a world-leading fisheries biologist based at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada.

Analysis of data from five ocean basins reveals a dramatic decline in numbers of large predatory fish (tuna, blue marlins, swordfish and others) since the advent of industrialized fishing. The world's oceans have lost over 90% of large predatory fish, with potentially severe consequences for the ecosystem. These findings provide indirect support for goals established at the UN's World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg last year. UN officials argued that three-quarters of the world's fisheries were fished to their sustainable limits or beyond, and made proposals for the restoration of depleted fisheries by 2015. Data on predatory fish are important as they are not dependent on datasets from commercial fisheries, which can be unreliable.

Shark populations in the Northwest Atlantic have declined dramatically in the last two decades. Using an extensive dataset from the pelagic longline fishery, Baum and colleages have detected declines ranging from 40% for mako sharks to over 90% for hammerhead sharks. The magnitude of these changes suggests that several species are in danger of large-scale extirpation. The authors call for new marine reserves and a reduction in fishing effort to halt these trends.

Come on we have got to do something about it, it is no good us all sitting in armchairs thinking someone else will do something, they will not, we as the diving community must help

Look at the website http://www.fmap.ca/news.php#3

it doesn't look good, are there some more current articles on this matter?

DeepBlueDivers:
Hmmmmmmm

Interesting not one comment, perhaps lethergy is our problem LOL

Does this not worry people ???????

In your first post you say

Come on we have got to do something about it, it is no good us all sitting in armchairs thinking someone else will do something, they will not, we as the diving community must help

What do you want us to do? Make comments on a board about how terrible this is and how the human population is ruining the world, followed by a bunch of "Hell yeah's"?

Is there an organization that we could support in one way or another. Who has the best plan for getting "something" done? If we donate money, is it going to be spent wisely or pissed away?
How do you think the new area in the pacific set aside by the US government will affect these populations?

I only ask because there always seems to be a lot of talk followed by very little action.

I've been looking at this for awhile now too, and it seems to have much in common with many other destructive tendencies of our (human) society: it's profitable.
You can't fight money very effectively with words, protests or a couple of well-meaning politicians.
You fight money with money, and the people that care about the damage have none (or simply very little).

I would love to be able to force (perhaps by taking over the world? Hmmm...) world leaders to 1) go for a trip in Earth's orbit, to see how small and fragile our little rock really is compared to the vastness of cold, dead space, and 2) go scuba diving, to see how beautiful, yet fragile and teetering-on-the-brink* our oceans are, and how little our petty differences on land are to a world that doesn't care, yet suffers because of it.

Then again, most of our world leaders are so callous and agendized that they wouldn't see what I'm talking about. (... actually, I'm not sure I do either! I need to work on my writing....) :wink:

*- not quite a real verb, I know...

A shark was washed up on the shore here the other day and its fins were missing :(
No details on how or what happened

Hi All

Wooow Now we have got some response.

A very good organization is http://www.bite-back.com/ and they have some interesting info on their site.

Yes I know it is hard ...what can we do, boycott restaurants, shops etc etc that sell shark email the owners, if you find someone that is selling it Join the Shark L board and tell them, they will do something, boycott areas that have big Shark fishing tournaments, if we reduce the demand we will reduce the catch.

Get out there look around on the internet find a good society that does help, give up your spare time, help them, I would love to see others on the board here come up with ideas of what we can do.

I do a lot for Whale Sharks but I love all sharks ...correction I love diving, I love seeing the creatures and fish there, I want it to be how it was 50 years ago, but that would take us 200 years to get back to, that is how much we have damaged the oceans.

Arrrggghhhh as you can tell I am very passionate about all this, and I am sure lots of people are, but as you all know we think someone else will do something about it, well here is the news they will not.

A shark was washed up on the shore here the other day and its fins were missing
No details on how or what happened

Gee, I'll take a guess. Someone cut his fins off, probably while he was still alive, and threw him back into the ocean as garbage. Fine treatment for an animal that has been here for 100 million years and is perfectly adapted to his environment (something we haven't managed to figure out yet).

Steve is right. Concrete actions need to be taken now. Sharks, grouper, snapper, cod, billfish and many others. For my part, I've pretty much given up seafood as much as I like it unless it is farm raised (and yes, I know all the arguments about that--but I chose the lesser of two evils to be doing something). If I go to a restaurant and find out they are serving swordfish or other fish not on the green list, I ask to speak to the chef and tell him (many don't know). If I can't speak to him, I write them a letter. At least two restaurants I know have quit serving threatened fish on their menus. It's a small thing, but at least I can feel that I am less a part of the problem.

I live in Asia where shark fin soup is very popular. But they are aware that us "foreigners" really despise this culinary delight. Many times at business dinners the host often ask the servers to give me soup other then shark fin. Customers that know me well make sure that it is not served.

But can we all have dinner with people that eat this dish and turn our arrogant noses to the air to prevent this? I think not. So how do you change this practice?

Same thing with whale products. Cultures through-out the world have lived off of the whale for 100's to 1000's of years. With current technology the capture and process of these animals has become easier, therefore more available to people that have wanted to embrace the practice.

What do we do, take away the wheel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom