Verizon finally brings back discount Mexico roaming packages...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it only works where wifi or partner data coverage is available. Cannot access cell networks? Ok, got it I guess.

I think it does... at least that is how I read it.

When not on wifi Google Fi will connect to "partner" cell network (LTE/3G/2G).

But I'm still not sure how different that is than my Android, since I'm pretty sure I can set it to make WiFi calls before it makes a cellar call. I suspect the method isn't unique it's going to be more unique due to being googlized through a lower, simpler payment plan with as many of the typical cell phone carrier billing tricks and gimmicks removed.

Another thing I hate about google is how selective its memory is. Today I can't find my hotel in google maps. Fortunately I remember exactly where it is, but if a company does not keep google happy on their terms - they vanish, like much of Cozumel.

Google Fi uses WiFi where available. If WiFi is not available, it uses cell coverage. It will switch between GSM and CDMA depending on what network is available, so it's actually better than other phones because it will work on any type of network.

Google Fi uses WiFi where available. If WiFi is not available, it uses cell coverage. It will switch between GSM and CDMA depending on what network is available, so it's actually better than other phones because it will work on any type of network.
Where did you see "any type of network"...??

I read "Project Fi has partnered with Sprint and T-Mobile," and those do not cover my home county well. Verizon does. I run across salesmen at counters here & there who try to sell me their phones & services, and it's easier to ask about my county than say no. They get quiet.

My home dive bud tried a bargain prepaid carrier in Plainview itself, partnering with ATT - but he couldn't use it at his store that's been there for decades. Of course, when partnering, you get to use the service is the regular customers aren't using all capabilities - surplus time, not busy times.

Where did you see "any type of network"...??

I read "Project Fi has partnered with Sprint and T-Mobile," and those do not cover my home county well. Verizon does. I run across salesmen at counters here & there who try to sell me their phones & services, and it's easier to ask about my county than say no. They get quiet.

You do realize that Sprint is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM, correct? And that those are the two types of networks, right? Therefore, if Fi is partnered with both, it works with any type of network. The Nexus 6, which is the only phone it currently works with, works on either network. Sprint and T-Mobile are the two companies they are partnered with in the US. Obviously, as tridacna has repeatedly pointed out, it works everywhere, so they have either partnered with or have roaming agreements with other carriers in other countries. Does it really matter, as long as it works?

For a guy who claims to know so much about cell phones, you're either woefully ill informed or just being obtuse. I'm starting to feel that you are being obtuse. Feel free to enjoy your Verizon phone that doesn't work.

So "any type of network" means it would be capable if the local carrier allowed it, but Sprint & T-mobile is still the only ones that allow it locally...??

I used to know cell phones, but my experiences are quite out of date - so explain anything, please.

Excellent article but already becoming obsolete. EU has now passed regulations regarding international roaming; I was one of the proponents of standardizing 3G and 4G at different times on the ITU. Our faction lost every time. Greed rules. Hate Qualcom but that's more personal experience than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom