Verifying dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did a little diving in Europe a few years this was very popular. Even individual divers had custom stamps made for stamping other log books. After the dive people would stamp each other’s log, date it and have a beer.
I dived with Japanese divers 20 odd years ago and they drew pictures and added their own stamps and stickers in my logbook

I dived with Japanese divers 20 odd years ago and they drew pictures and added their own stamps and stickers in my logbook
you can get your own too

Shiny ✨

Why would anyone need any diving agency to verify the dive?
This is a recreational sport.
Who says you need to dive only with a certain affiliated agency? You can dive with whoever you want. The original premise that started this discussion was wrong. You don’t need to have 24 (or whatever) dives done with SSI for them to count.

While I meet the 24 “verified dive” minimum many times over, I’ve only ever done a max of 12 dives with anyone affiliated with SSI. If the requirement is 24 dives, but SSI only has a record of the 4 checkout dives you did with Open Water. That would seem to not be enough, right? Worst case, the instructor may ask to see your log. If you have 30 dives logged since OW, you are in. Your “verified dive” number is now 34. And when you complete the course, any checkout dives will be added in, so you might be at 38 or so “verified dives” upon completion.
When I did all those courses(PADI/IANTD) all the way to full trimix, no instructor has asked to see my log/proof/record.
"Verified dive" by the agency???

That’s strange. Somehow, I managed to get my SSI Verified dive count to be 191. That’s what my SSI app shows. I have more now, but only around 12 of those 191 dives were done in the presence of an SSI instructor or guide. I have an electronic log showing most of those dives, but apart from those 12, none were verified.

Totally different ways of diving. Apart from dives associated with a course, exactly zero of my dives have been done in the presence of a dive professional.
Basically the dive number on a verified dive tells the app and awards how many you have. For example when I crossed over to ssi I sure as hell wasn't going to input hundreds of dives into this new app and verify each one. What I did was input my most recent dive, number it as it's correct number and hey presto! Hundreds of verified dives

I use the SSI diving app on my iPhone and I am very happy with it. I have my training material, c cards, diving logs in it. However, two things bother me. You can only verify dives in a SSI shop. They tell you to go back to your LDS. What if you no longer have a LDS because you relocated? Will you go to any SSI shop and are they supposed to let you verify your dives using the shop QR code if they don’t know you? Second thing is the fact that you cannot input c cards from other agencies. Not even like a photograph. I would hate having two diving apps for my cards and I would hate even more having physical cards. As a result, when I travel and go diving, I search first for SSI shops. Same thing when I travel and want to take an additional training course.
They just take your word for it. At least that has been my experience.

So many silly comments here. SSI simply uses this as a recognition system.

And guess what? When someone qualifies for master scuba diver, they receive that recognition FOR FREE! (Unlike another large agency that requires a fee for recognition). I remember receiving a t shirt and a card in the mail one day before I turned pro

I don't get why people like recognition, as I honestly couldn't possibly care any less, but at least SSI isn't charging anyone for it.

There is in fact a way to verify the dives but I find it borderline. You can make a photograph of any SSI shop QR then use it as you wish with a second phone or a computer to verify your dives. It is a bit dishonest.
i hate to say it, but i do this, because i will dive with my dive shop, then go home and input my dives, so i dont want to drive another 45 minutes each way just to verify them.

i hate to say it, but i do this, because i will dive with my dive shop, then go home and input my dives, so i dont want to drive another 45 minutes each way just to verify them.
I think he meant to say that you could use a shop you didn’t do the dive with and use this to validate your dive.

I don’t think there is anything wrong if you use the QR of the shop you dived with?

Basically the dive number on a verified dive tells the app and awards how many you have. For example when I crossed over to ssi I sure as hell wasn't going to input hundreds of dives into this new app and verify each one. What I did was input my most recent dive, number it as it's correct number and hey presto! Hundreds of verified dives
Yeah. I get that. My post largely directed at Dody’s assumption that each dive must be verified in order to reach the required number.

BTW. I don’t even use he SSI app to log dives, so iit’s not even required to input a single dive in their log.

When I did all those courses(PADI/IANTD) all the way to full trimix, no instructor has asked to see my log/proof/record.
"Verified dive" by the agency???
I think you are missing my point. I was also never required to show any proof. As I said, I may have looked at Subsurface to get the dive number, but that’s it. I was not required to submit anything at all to SSI. My “verified dive” count was over 50 before doing a single dive with anyone affiliated with SSI.

No one is verifying anything. This thread was started by an incorrect understanding, and it’s gone on from there. I keep putting “verified dive” in quotes for a reason. No one is verifying anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom