VEO 250 Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, and I did call on the 21st. I've searched for the supporting paperwork as requested, but have not been able to find all of it. I was only able to find one receipt from Oceanic that indicates a replacement. Lesson learned on keeping receipts. :shakehead:

I haven't sent the computer in as I am on the fence. Honestly, I'm debating using the funds for another computer. Sorry.

I decided to spend the money elsewhere.

Shearwater Predator.

Thanks craracer,
That's a new one on me.. I took a quick look at their manuel. Love their Warning/Disclaimer. Seems these guys have a bit of a sense of humor. Also, I noticed the battery compartment has a lid much like the old Oceanic Prodigy Computers which I prefer over the VEO's new style. I'm never quite sure I got it sealed, but so far it's never leaked. Cross my fingers. So I assume you choose this module for it's features rather than it's price compared to other models.

I bought it because:

For all of the reasons I posted prior to this.

I, too, hate the battery swaps with the Oceanic.

I can source 3.6V batteries locally, and the specific battery/model #/manufacturer is listed within the owners manual. I didn't have to find out what the appropriate battery is by reading some post on ScubaBoard (which was a thread started because people were having problems).

I didn't need to pay extra money for a download cable (unit is bluetooth). Yes, I'm sure I paid for the bluetooth in the total cost, but I don't care (keep reading and you will see why).

Shearwater customer service is outstanding. I was getting a low battery warning on the maiden dive despite the unit showing adequate voltage. One email to the company and they were right on it (investigating). Within a week or so, they discovered it was due to diving in very cold conditions. So, they reworked the firmware and immediately emailed out the update, which I sent from my laptop to the Predator via bluetooth.

I am thankful that Shearwater has the drive to constantly improve their products. The last upgrade (they've had 2 since I purchased the unit) went a step further by by making additional interface upgrades (many of which were suggested by current Shearwater owners).

I truly appreciate a company that actually listens to me. I identified a problem, they kept me updated on a timely basis, and corrected the issue THE FIRST TIME, AND AT NO COST TO ME (As they should. After all, the problem was generated within-house. Not due to something I did). Shearwater took the time to explain why the problem was happening, and what they did to correct it.

The Predator is good to go for deco (Ha! I made a rhyme!:D). I can use multiple gasses.

The price point of the Predator is quite good considering what you are getting in return. Just compare the price to units with similar features and you should come to the same conclusion.

Frankly, I'm tired of screwing around with something as important as a computer, or any piece of diving equipment for that matter. Nothing like shelling out something like 5K for a vacation dive trip to have it cut short by some piece of dive equipment.

I'll spend the extra money, even if it means that I have to wait a bit to get something that won't disappoint me (or tick me off). Add up the cost of a couple Veo250's (2@$450ea), and you've just about bought yourself a Predator.

Not once did I hear anyone at Shearwater say "Well, we have thousands of satisfied customers worldwide." This may be true, but in essence calls those who are having problems "idiots".

Love their Warning/Disclaimer.

At least they are upfront and honest from the get-go. :D You've got to appreciate that.

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a Veo 250. It was on closeout. I got the cable also and went on google looking to see if there was a new firmware and whether I could update it. I found this thread. In it, I discovered I cannot update the firmware myself, and that I have the latest version of the firmware.

However, I also wanted to comment on the thread in general. I was impressed with Oceanic's involvement with this thread. The fact that they took the time to respond and to cover the points in the thread is a great thing. In an age where a lot of companies just stick you with some Indian operator in Mumbai, it's nice to see a company going out of their way to communicate and keep in touch with its customers.

The Veo's price was in line with other dive computers out there. And, it carries the same two year warranty that a lot of the other computers in this price range carry. So, I think the warranty they provide is in line with the industry.

I found this thread to be a huge positive for Oceanic. I think they did all they could in this case and went above and beyond. If my computer experiences problems after the warranty is over, I won't be surprised if Oceanic expects to get paid to fix it, even if it just may be the battery.

Kudos to Oceanic for spending the time and effort to communicate and try to help. This only enforces my confidence in my purchase. And, if I experience a problem within the two-year warranty timeframe, I have no doubt based on what I see here that Oceanic will support me to resolve the issue. But, I suppose I will learn in time as I start using the device. My first trip with it to Cancun is in a few days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom