VEO 250 Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Luck "tholden1", hope you have better luck than the rest of us with your VEO 250. I still own a lot Oceanic gear, but I wasn't left with a warm and fuzzy feeling ( nor were others ) with how this issue was handled. Hopefully the feedback will help them improve their future models so these same type of issues can be handled more gracefully.

Didn't it work for at least two years? It's a rather cheap device in general. Being exposed to depths, saltwater, vibration, heat, etc. for many years and then just starting to malfunction probably is pretty decent for such a device. But then, it's my first dive computer so maybe my expectations are too low. I suppose if it cost three times what I paid, then I'd expect more.

But, I'll see once I use it for a while. I can't imagine they're that much different in reliability in comparison to other manufacturers in this price range. But, I have no basis or research for that assumption.

Good Luck "tholden1", hope you have better luck than the rest of us with your VEO 250. I still own a lot Oceanic gear, but I wasn't left with a warm and fuzzy feeling ( nor were others ) with how this issue was handled. Hopefully the feedback will help them improve their future models so these same type of issues can be handled more gracefully.

They may have "lasted at least two years", but consider the actual running time. It's only a mere fraction of that two years.

Best of luck with your unit. I hope you are one of the "lucky" customers.

Really? So are they outside the norm in the industry with regards to reliability? Say, compared to another manufacturer like Suunto or Mares? I saw a lot of positive reviews on this before I bought it. You would think that if there were a large number of reliability issues, it would be obvious on the net and everyone would be complaining. This is my first dive computer so this is all new to me. I bought this one because it was on closeout and was a great price. My original choice was a Mares Puck, mainly due to price.

They may have "lasted at least two years", but consider the actual running time. It's only a mere fraction of that two years.

Best of luck with your unit. I hope you are one of the "lucky" customers.

tholden:
All you gotta do is go back thru these pages of threads and you will see tons of thread titles regarding computer problems.

RAWalker started a thread way back on March 14, 2009 that got 25 comments & 1757 views addressing the reliability issue. Nothing resolved of course.

Oceanic has a reputation of generally good customer service when you do have a problem, but that is after the fact.

FWIW, I always travel with a second backup computer just in case I get a problem with my primary. I always put a fresh battery in my computer before I leave on a major trip, and I dive it once before I leave on that trip to confirm it is working. I pack spare batteries for both computers.

Most dive resorts and liveaboards will rent you a computer if yours craps out during a trip. Just be sure to dive conservatively for the 24 hour period after the switch.

tholden:
All you gotta do is go back thru these pages of threads and you will see tons of thread titles regarding computer problems.

RAWalker started a thread way back on March 14, 2009 that got 25 comments & 1757 views addressing the reliability issue. Nothing resolved of course.

Oceanic has a reputation of generally good customer service when you do have a problem, but that is after the fact.

FWIW, I always travel with a second backup computer just in case I get a problem with my primary. I always put a fresh battery in my computer before I leave on a major trip, and I dive it once before I leave on that trip to confirm it is working. I pack spare batteries for both computers.

Most dive resorts and liveaboards will rent you a computer if yours craps out during a trip. Just be sure to dive conservatively for the 24 hour period after the switch.

My experience with their computers and batteries is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I only change the battery when the computer is crying out for a new one because it seems to only work with about half the batteries out there, regardless of brand. I bring a few spares with me and install new ones until I find something that works. Then I don't $%& with it until the next time.

Olden1,

I guess Oceanic set the my expectations too high. My first computer was a Prodigy. I have two of them, close to 15 years old. Both still work. Both cost slightly less than the VEO 250. Also, I hand carry my computers every where and I never leave them laying in the hot sun for extended periods of time. Both VEO's have the protective covers over their faces ( recommended for any dive computer ) and are mounted in rubber wrist straps. I keep them stored in my closet at home and not outside in the garage. I would say they are pampered, as well as all of my gear, extremely well. It's hard to say how long they "lasted" since they were more then likely sitting on the shelf for a while when the warranty ran out. As pointed out, these units didn't have 100's of dives on them which I expect any dive computer should handle. I'm lucky if I get to go on a dive trip once a year these days.

I don't think expecting a dive computer to last 10 years is too much. I have Personal Computers at home, Digital cameras, cell phones, etc which have all lasted 5-10 years and used almost every single day. Oh, I've had some failures on some things but still there are many electronics items still in use today which prove that it is possible for things to last more than 2 years especially when most of them only had a 1 year warranty.

Also, after reading your response, I noticed other new threads on this forum around Oceanic Computer issues. Seems like the response is still the same.

None the less, we wish you all the best with your new computer.

P.S. Hopefully the next time you are in Austin, you have a better experience then the one I saw posted on your thread from August.

Didn't it work for at least two years? It's a rather cheap device in general. Being exposed to depths, saltwater, vibration, heat, etc. for many years and then just starting to malfunction probably is pretty decent for such a device. But then, it's my first dive computer so maybe my expectations are too low. I suppose if it cost three times what I paid, then I'd expect more.

But, I'll see once I use it for a while. I can't imagine they're that much different in reliability in comparison to other manufacturers in this price range. But, I have no basis or research for that assumption.

My experience with their computers and batteries is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I only change the battery when the computer is crying out for a new one because it seems to only work with about half the batteries out there, regardless of brand. I bring a few spares with me and install new ones until I find something that works. Then I don't $%& with it until the next time.

Yeah... I really dislike breaking the seal on the battery cover ( or any seal). I never get a warm fuzzy feeling until I've completed my first dive after resealing the battery cover.

I wished they had stuck with the 2032 batteries and the battery cover which screwed in. They worked well on the Prodigy computers, but they opted for changing both :-( They achieved a smaller design, but I think one that is less user friendly.

Since you've already done all of the research, and purchased your computer, there's really no reason to discuss/argue issues of reliability.

Again, I wish you the best of luck with your computer.

Go dive, be safe, and enjoy your new piece of equipment.

Thanks. I will be a lot more careful about which dive shop I get my equipment from in Austin if I rent any :wink:

I see your point. I certainly hope that this one outlasts the two-year warranty. I just completed six dives with it and I hope to take a trip on the Fling in May and get many more.

I'm not sure what would cause a piece of electronics like this to fail but I suppose I'll find out in time. I too expect electronics to last a long time, in general.

I'm going to do my best to use it as much as possible (even around here in the lakes and such) until it does fail :)

Olden1,

I guess Oceanic set the my expectations too high. My first computer was a Prodigy. I have two of them, close to 15 years old. Both still work. Both cost slightly less than the VEO 250. Also, I hand carry my computers every where and I never leave them laying in the hot sun for extended periods of time. Both VEO's have the protective covers over their faces ( recommended for any dive computer ) and are mounted in rubber wrist straps. I keep them stored in my closet at home and not outside in the garage. I would say they are pampered, as well as all of my gear, extremely well. It's hard to say how long they "lasted" since they were more then likely sitting on the shelf for a while when the warranty ran out. As pointed out, these units didn't have 100's of dives on them which I expect any dive computer should handle. I'm lucky if I get to go on a dive trip once a year these days.

I don't think expecting a dive computer to last 10 years is too much. I have Personal Computers at home, Digital cameras, cell phones, etc which have all lasted 5-10 years and used almost every single day. Oh, I've had some failures on some things but still there are many electronics items still in use today which prove that it is possible for things to last more than 2 years especially when most of them only had a 1 year warranty.

Also, after reading your response, I noticed other new threads on this forum around Oceanic Computer issues. Seems like the response is still the same.

None the less, we wish you all the best with your new computer.

P.S. Hopefully the next time you are in Austin, you have a better experience then the one I saw posted on your thread from August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom