VEO 200 Nitrox default problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called Oceanic and got a very helpful tech who expalined the problem. The explanation was that with default set to "OFF" the computer does not default to 50% oxygen but still defaults to 79% nitrogen for the subsequent dive so the PPO2 has to be set after each dive. I can live with that.

I rechecked the manual and that quirk is not addressed there. Had I not been wearing my Data plus also, I might not have even noticed the anomaly. Although my buddy diving a similar computer (Aeris) may have let me realize a problem. I do recall quite a few years ago diving with a buddy (my nitrox instructor) who noticed NDL discrepancies between his somewhat newer Oceanic computer and my Data plus but we never managed to nail it down. We just honored his NDLs.

So, if you are diving newer Oceanic nitrox computers that have a PPO2 default option, you may want to rest your PPO2 before each nitrox dive.

I would call them back in a few days and see if you get the same answer, because that's bad programming and it should not work that way. It should hold your nitrox settings and not change them in the program.

I would call them back in a few days and see if you get the same answer, because that's bad programming and it should not work that way. It should hold your nitrox settings and not change them in the program.

It holds the O2 setting and it shows that setting in the log. They just don't know how to keep the N2 setting (Seinfeld). I can live with that and since I bought it used, I really don't expect a free fix. But I have to wonder what other owners are doing that don't also have a computer without that programming defect. They probably never realize they are just diving air with an extra margin of safety.

I have the Veo 180Nx and the way it was explained to me was that it is not a programming defect but an intentionally programmed safety feature.

I have the Veo 180Nx and the way it was explained to me was that it is not a programming defect but an intentionally programmed safety feature.

That's with the default set to "ON"

Personally I've always thought this to be a truly stupid "feature". If I set something on a computer it should just stay there until I change it.

My Veo 2.0 works as follows (from the manual):

With the FO2 50% Default selection set Off, the Veo will remain set at the last FO2 Set Point for that period of activation.

Since I generally dive 32%, I only need to set it on my first tank; subsequent tanks that day will retain the setting.

My Veo 2.0 works as follows (from the manual):

With the FO2 50% Default selection set Off, the Veo will remain set at the last FO2 Set Point for that period of activation.

Since I generally dive 32%, I only need to set it on my first tank; subsequent tanks that day will retain the setting.

That is the same as the VEO200 and the PPO2 did stay at 32% according to the dive logs. But it appeared that the PPN2 defaulted to 79% anyway. If I had not been used to and using my Data Plus, I would have just followed the computer and never noticed the problem

That is the same as the VEO200 and the PPO2 did stay at 32% according to the dive logs. But it appeared that the PPN2 defaulted to 79% anyway. If I had not been used to and using my Data Plus, I would have just followed the computer and never noticed the problem

That's very interesting. I wonder if my 180 does that when default is off (how I set it) or not. So are you planning to go into SET MODE after each dive- even if the FO2 is the same- so the computer calculates with the correct FN2 and not 79%?

That's very interesting. I wonder if my 180 does that when default is off (how I set it) or not. So are you planning to go into SET MODE after each dive- even if the FO2 is the same- so the computer calculates with the correct FN2 and not 79%?

I am used to a Data Plus which required resetting PPO2 after every EAN dive so I am used to it. Yes, I set default "ON" and will reset PPO2 each time. I would be suspect of any VEO xxx as well as newer versions. Without a 2nd "good" computer for comparison, it would be hard to tell.

I am used to a Data Plus which required resetting PPO2 after every EAN dive so I am used to it. Yes, I set default "ON" and will reset PPO2 each time. I would be suspect of any VEO xxx as well as newer versions. Without a 2nd "good" computer for comparison, it would be hard to tell.

So it just sounds better to have the default ON b/c we have to set the FO2 every dive that is not 21%. I wonder, though, if the default is OFF, will the computer acknowledge a re-setting of the FO2 on a subsequent dive if the user just scrolls through SET MODE, stops at FO2, does not adjust the FO2 from previous dive, and then moves through the remainder of SET MODE. Or will the user have to go to FO2 in SET MODE and go completely around (the 180 goes up to 50%) the FO2 setting and back to the original FO2 for the subsequent dive so that the computer acknowledges that the user is paying attention to their settings.

All that being said, I may just start diving with the default ON.

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom