VEO 2.0 bummed me out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Back in 2013 I was drinking and surfing E-Bay and somehow picked up VEO 2.0 that was brand new for $135 USD. I reliase that impaired Internet shopping for life support equipment is not optimal but a couple days earlier I gotten a T2 second with a SP MK 25 1st for $205 and I was on a roll (primary concern at this point was liver damage).
The VEO worked flawlessly until a couple months back when at 10 minute's in to my 14th dive in 4 days I looked down and it had me In 2 hours of DECO, I had been watching the times and while aggressive, this was out of line. I checked my backup Pro Plus and it showed me a OK.
A couple weeks back I did another series of dives and on dive #12, it took a sh#t on on me at 3 minutes and 120' down, blanked out a rebooted with all data lost. OK, no problem I have a backup. I looked at the situation and decided OK I payed $135 for a nice computer that worked flawlessly for 278 out of 280 dives and since I do run a backup no foul. Since I had lost faith in the reliability on this particular unit I was going to toss it. Several friends suggested I send it back to Oceanic but I hesitated as I had no warranty. I contacted them and they said they would 'service / repair it for $120' I figured I would try it. I got a call last week and they said they could not confirm the fault (I work electronic's on aircraft, go figure, a No Fault Found) but they nice lady said they would exchange it, OK. Today in the mail was a brand new VEO 3.0.
Thank you Oceanic

Last edited:
I've had great luck with Oceanic, but not that good.

One thing I was going to suggest before I finished reading, was a battery change, my Veo acts squirrley when the battery is low and you may or may not get, or see, the low battery indicator. This is due to the type of battery used, they maintain voltage well at end of life, but does not produce enough current to run the device properly. I usually change out the battery a few dives before a major trip, and carry a spare battery with me.

Bob

I've had great luck with Oceanic, but not that good.

One thing I was going to suggest before I finished reading, was a battery change, my Veo acts squirrley when the battery is low and you may or may not get, or see, the low battery indicator. This is due to the type of battery used, they maintain voltage well at end of life, but does not produce enough current to run the device properly. I usually change out the battery a few dives before a major trip, and carry a spare battery with me.

Bob
I change the battery once a year (about a 125 dives) and had just changed it in December, after the first failure I changed it again. I did no other MTX, often after a heavy dive trip I would thrown it in a dive bag in a hot shed in Cozumel without even rinsing it (yep, all wrong). The fact that it worked as long as it did without proper respect is a testimonial to its quality.

I've noticed that when computers work fine for the first part of the day, then start doing funny things at the end of the day, it's time for a battery change. You didn't mention if you changed batteries between the dives that gave you errors? Or if you changed them at all? Lithium batteries can be tricky toward the end of thier life.

Great story - I own a Veo 2.0 (bought it new) and liked it - no issues with mine so I bought a used one off Scubaboard for my son - not $135 good but I thought good deal. We have not had any issues yet but I love to hear good customer support stories from OEMs that I own...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom