Venus Marina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not much in the bedroom but they have storage and they will stow it for you and return it the night before or morning at the end.

It was a great first experience. I just got back from Thailand today so I'll post more info another time.

Pluckydks - hope to see your post before the weekend as i'm on the boat next Wed!
How's the weather/seas at the moment? I'm paranoid the rainy season has started early...

I was on it two weeks ago and water and weather were ok. Some sites had a lot of currents and poor viz, but others were great. Last week I heard a liveaboard sank and ppl were lost at sea because of the storms. The crew that worked my trip (I hear there are two crews) were all nice. Ask them if they remember a Thai/American named Disney and tell them I said hi :)

I didn't see any whale sharks or mantas, but one group claimed they did see a whale shark.

If you are a serious diver avoid Pattaya at all costs.

Why..?

I realised i'd not written my report of this vessel/trip given despite promising. Anyway.....

The trip had been organised by a friend of a friend in Bangkok and the boat was chartered by an enthusiastic bunch of divers, mostly Thais. For me this was significant as throughout the past 12 yrs i've been on hols to Thailand, I as a farang tourist, have never known how the locals have taken to this sport/industry. As ignorant as this sounds (and not necessary for this report) it was interesting to hear the background of these folks. I'm embarassed to say their English was heaps better than my Thai! Some had been diving for a good few years with a few in the party already part-time instructors/dm's.

The boat:
Large enough to fit us all (around 25 guests - not all divers) and not feel cramped or in people's way. It looked well maintained and I didn't feel at all unsettled. The ride was stable enough although we didn't have many days that would construe 'bad weather' - only the occassional heavy shower/thunder !

It isn't high-end luxuary nor catered to tight budgets so in between. The bedrooms were pretty tight but with only 2 to a room, I could sleep well, plus there was a/c for a heat-wuss that I can be. Shower/toilet arrangements were ok and nothing out of this world - not cramped either so a big plus. The crew themselves were excellent and as with Liveaboards elsewhere, multi-tasked well enough....i've no idea how they all do those hours and be up before everyone else.

Food - this is where is gets interesting. In short, it was amazing. I've toured Thailand many times and have had the pleasure of trying a lot of regional variation and i'd say the chef was amazing since she could cook up a storm in such a small galley, plus very resourceful in making so many different regional dishes. It's only Thai food (ok, you can have toast for breakfast) but fine by me. Interestingly enough, it was only after the trip I found out that this group of divers chose this boat over another because of the food!

There was a bit of Karaoke but so what, it's something the locals enjoyed and wasn't exactly done throughout the night - light hearted fun. Most people enjoyed chatting or relaxing so I didn't feel uncomfy whatsoever.

Dive arrangements
Given the number of divers the groups were arranged by experience and I don't recall being in a group of more than 5 per DM. The kit area was busy during dive times but most people were experienced & sensible enough to work things out. Rented some equipment and these seemed well maintained - definitely better than the dive schools on the Gulf side! Dive platform was spaceous enough and we were well looked after by the crew (plus there was a RIB to do dive pickups).

Dive sites - The "South Andaman"
Koh Haa Yai
Hin Daeng
Hin Muang
Hin 8 mile (twice)
Koh Sawang
Koh Haa Yai north
Koh Bida Nok
Maya Bay
Ao Nui
Anemone Reef
Koh Dok Mai

Overall a good trip with a really nice bunch of people plus a decent boat. It's unlikely you can just get onto this boat from Phuket since it was a charter but if you do have the chance i'm sure you'll enjoy this. If you're not used to Thai food suited to local tastes, this probably isn't for you., but i'd recommend it if you want to have decent company and reasonable diving (it isn't the Similans).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom