Venture Crew 523 Dive-A-Thon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaLevelScuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey folks, wanted to pass along some information about a Dive-A-Thon our venture crew is having. The goal of the event is to keep a series of divers (groups of 4) underwater for a 48 hours. They will begin at 3pm on friday, Sept 19 and finish at 3pm on sunday, Sept 21. The purpose of the event is to allow the coed group of kids, ages 14-20 to raise money to facilitate their diving activities.

For those who dont know what venturing is, it is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 14 (and have completed the eighth grade) through 20 years of age. The purpose of this program is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults. To learn more about venturing, visit this link, BSA Venturing.

This is a scuba based youth crew, the way one of these crews works is they (the youth group) decides what they would like to do and the advisors (the adult parents) realistically identifies the realistic requirements to achieve their goals and then the crew members must go out and raise the money to facilitate achieving their goals. They have decided to do this dive-a-thon to help them raise the money for their activities, what we need is divers to help fill the 48 hours, there is no charge to participate in the diving. The dive is held in a pool (good conditions and vis guaranteed) at the Hilton on the beach in Indialantic, FL. The Hilton is offering a discounted rated for anyone wishing to stay overnight.

We will have dive leaders available to allow non-divers to try scuba and participate in the event as well. So bring your non-diving friends along for the fun, they're sure to have a good time with you.

If this is something you might be interested in please contact me either by pm, email, or calling the store.

Thanks for your support
Schott

I will be heading down towards boynton on Sunday. I could probably do a tank real early in the am on Sunday. Night dive in a pool? Never know what you may come across lol. What's the donation rate for the event? Are people donating for every hour, flat number, or however much they desire?

I'm curious as to how your raising funds for this as well. Our Crew (out of SW Florida) might "borrow" your idea if it works out for you :)

I'm signed up for a tank starting at about 3am on Sunday morning :) Night dive in the pool FTW! I'm told the donations are either per hour cumulative for the group, or a flat donation for the cause. Im sure Schott can clarify though.

~ Sel

There are several ways the the fund raising works, 1) Each member of the crew takes flyers and posters and passes them out. With those flyers and posters they also get pledge forms in which the member places their name, all funds raised by the individual crew member is placed into that crew members account. These pledge forms allow the donor to either pledge by the hour or a flat donation for the event. It also affords them to be able to pay by credit card should the donor wish. 2) Donations to the event in general, pledge forms without a crew members name or just donations in general. 3) Door prizes that are donated will have tickets purchased for that will be given away at the conclusion of the event by anyone who comes out and wishes to purchase a ticket. 4) Sponsorships of time slots. Funds generated from items 2 thru 4 all go into a general fund that each crew member earns based upon the amount of time each crew members spends worrking the event.

There is no charge for anyone participating in the diving, we will have instructors there who will provided scuba experiences for those who are not certified and might want to play a hand of cards underwater as well. Again no charge for that either.

Won't you come out and spend a hour, the Hilton has provided us with a discounted rate for participants needing a room.

Schott

Thanks for all of the info! Unfortunately, I'm camping with the troop Friday and Saturday and assisting on the open water portion of a rescue class the Sunday so I can't come up. Keep me posted on other events you do though as I make it up your way fairly often.

Ugh, I would be there next weekend if this weekends server upgrade deployment didn't get rescheduled and guess who's the point guy for systems?! Have fun!!!! And Do this again!!!

Hey Schott,

How are we looking on participation for this event? I'm curious and also I'm looking forward to it so here is a little bump for ya.

Charles

Hey Schott,

How are we looking on participation for this event? I'm curious and also I'm looking forward to it so here is a little bump for ya.

Charles

Thanks Charles, we looking pretty good on the participation, There are still a couple of early morning times wide open from the standpoint of not having anyone in the water, thats where we'll fill it in with the night owls.

I've recieved the Full Face Masks and COM units for folks to try out from Ocean Reef, we've got underwater hangman, uno, and poker planned, and lets not forget to mention the tom foolery we adults can and will come up with. This is sure to be fun.

Schott

It's here folks, thanks go to all of you who have decided to come out and have some fun in a pool. We will be getting started tomorrow at 3pm promptly and barring any weather related issues the last diver will come out on Sundat at 3pm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom