Vented hood vs non vented.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darrenc88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to purchase a hood. I've heard of people complaining about non vented hoods. Is it a big deal or not. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

If your drysuit burps out your neck seal it will end up in your hood. With a hood that is not vented you will end up being a cone head and feel it pulling upward.

Vented.

I punched a couple of holes in my Otter Bay hood, and aqua sealed the edges of the holes.

Helps prevent the cone head effect.

Speaking of vented hoods... why are they always on top of the skull? Do they design these things for divers with poor trim?

Had a non-vented hood. Melted a couple of holes at strategic locations. Now I have a vented hood. :thumb:

I like the idea of making your own holes. What did you use and how?

I used a propane torch to heat up a phillips head screwdriver...voila, instant vented hood!

Remove hood
#6 finish nail with the end gound blunt.
Go where you have real good ventilation
Hold nail in a pair of vice grips and heat with torch until cherry red.
Pierce the hood top dead center and orbit the hot nail to creat a true opening. Repeat 2 more time at 1"-1-1/2" intervals towards the back. this should let bubbles escape in good trim as well as when youfind your self vertical for whatever reason.

The hot nail should adequately fuse loose ends so nothing frays.

If you find the holes chill your noggin you can create a baffle by tack stitching or spot gluing a patch of thin neprene over the holes to creaet a labyrinth exit path.

An unvented hood will be prone to catching then accumulating exhaust bubbles and making your mask strap squirm. This can raise havoc with your mask fit.

If you prefer not to do this you can periodically pitch your head down to let air escape up your neckline.

Pete

I used a propane torch to heat up a phillips head screwdriver...voila, instant vented hood!

Having less self control and a giant bubble head, I used a pair of sea-snips while on a dive . . . :cool:

flots.

I find if I don't have vents, my regulator exhaust gets into the hood and upsets my trim. Vent holes in the top are not sufficient to take care of the issue. I generally make vent holes down the back of the hood as well. Not all the way, but probably half way so they can take care of their business when I am horizontal in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom