Venice suggestions? New Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there everyone! I apologize to be redundant if this has already been touched on in other threads, but...

I am a new diver. I just finished my certification last week, so only have a couple of dives under my belt. I am really looking forward to getting down to Venice (I'm up near Clearwater) to dive for some shark teeth. A friend of mine who took the class with me, and myself were going to head to Venice this weekend and do several beach dives. We thought this may be a good starting point for beginners to get the feel of it. Would you agree? My question is this...at some point we really want to get out on a charter boat to do a shark tooth dive. From what I've read, it looks like I would like to go out with Capt. Jamie on Aristakat. I was looking for some input on if beginners can go out and do this dive, or how much experience you need before taking one of these charters out for some teeth. I figured we'd get at least 5 or 6 beach dives under out belt first. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for any and all input!

p.s. Any other suggestions for a beginner shark tooth diver is welcome. I've really been reading up and doing my homework, but there is lots to learn. Thanks again!

You can't go wrong with booking a charter with Capt. Jaime. The dive is in the 30 foot range and is great for new divers. I'm still a new diver and cant wait to go out with Jaime again...hopefully soon.

To make your trips down more effective, I'd almost think that you'd want to get out on the boat once sooner than later. This way you have some idea what you are looking for. (bottom wise) There's lots of desert out there - so while it is just a matter of swimming out and looking down, there is a little more to it.

Also, depending on the weather it can be next to no vis. For sharks teeth searching you only need about 12 inches clear to the bottom if you are looking for "any size teeth" (as opposed to needing some more if you are swimming and just looking for the big ones.)

I think it might be a little rough on a first time diver to the area to only have a 2-3 foot day. The nice thing about the boat is they can reposition out a little farther which will usually be better vis.

Some days there is almost a "wall" of no vis in closer to shore. The other week my wife and I were swimming and there was a very visable change where it went from 5-6 feet down to 0. (it really looked like a wall)... If we had been swimming off the beach it would be hard to know when that 0 vis would have ended, and I think we would have called the dive.

I'd also say be a bit careful as I've found that diving for teeth can quickly become "solo diving" ... With bad vis or a good productive bed it's easy to loose track of your buddy. So just be aware of that.

And on the good side, it's absolutly addictive. It starts out as a great way to relax, but you'll always want more. There's a bigger one out there, I just need to find it...

Hey, thanks so much for all the advice! I'll be giving Capt Jamie a call very soon to get out on a boat. I have a feeling your right....I think once I get out there, I'm going to get addicted to it really fast. Hopefully the vis will be decent this weekend. Anything I can research in advance to tell how the vis may be before I get there? I'm guessing calmer waters, and I here that diving is best w/ an east wind. Thanks again for the feedback...can't wait to get there!

Capt. Jamie is the way to go. He always has some one onboard to buddy up with for new divers. Jim ,Jesse, or Scott,they are all great fossil hunter and will get you back to the boat safe.

I would have to say. Capt Jamie is the person I use as well. He puts you right on top of the teeth. I had a lot of sucess with him and is a great person. Looking forward to see what you find and please post pictures. Love to see what everyone is finding . SEA YA

Hello there, again, Artistdiver!

Hey, you are in the right place!

Capt. Jamie is great!

Also, listen to WHATEVER Fossilbabe has to tell you about diving Venice Beach! She knows her stuff!

Boats

Thanks Boats!! How are those shark teeth doing up north? Having a meet and greet here at the house on friday. Its going to be a blast! Sorry your not around to be here. It the first of many for our area and what a great bunch we have here. You know me and my passion for shark teeth and fossils. Welcome back.

As you gathered, the two main charters are the Aristakat (Capt. Jamie) and the Hammerhead from FL West Scuba (Capt. Steve or Capt. Marie). I have used the Hammerhead and can recommend them. They were helpful and positive to my daughter (a big plus to me). I've been trying to get on the Aristakat, but vis was blown out both times so he called me to let me know and saved me a trip. You may have trouble getting a spot as they are usually booked during summer, but it can't hurt calling, and they may have a last minute cancellation.

I don't think anyone has referred to Reefguy's Venice Fossil Diving Guide sticky, but it is a good start (see the link below). The first time I tried Venice, he and Walter were there and were extremely helpful and informative with tips and helping ID my first teeth. So don't be afraid to talk to the other divers you see and let them know it's your first time - almost everyone I've met diving there is enthusiastic and happy to share info and show off their finds.

If I can make a suggestion: for convenience sake, stop by Florida West and pick up a fine mesh collection pouch (they'll point it out to you). You can use a sock if you have to, but the velcro pouches they sell are a good investment.

Shark toothing guide link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ve...2466-reefguys-venice-fossil-diving-guide.html

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom