Venice smells a little fishy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matteo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
myself, Tomro, Bruce119, and Purdue Pete met this morning for a midweek dive @ Alhambra...we noticed getting in the water that it smelled just a little funky, but nothing to be concerned about....surface was almost slick and vis varied from 3 to 8 ft....got a handful of smallish teeth and headed home...went to clean my gear and it stinks to high heaven!...I'm afraid the red tide is moving in and Venice may be a no-go for a while...it was barely noticeable at the beach, but after soaking in it for almost 2 hours, it's pretty nasty...won't make that mistake again!

I just walked to the beach to run the stankameter.

While it does seem mildly anaerobic, I think the stuff is not "here" just yet. It's likely near though. Today the tide was outgoing, and there was a single tide, so the bay is really emptying out well. Also, the seabreeze was just setting up against the easterly winds when I applied my nose to the measurement.

I'll try it again near sunset to see if the incoming tide brings news, good or bad.

I wonder if there's anywhere to get a k. brevis test kit?

Matteo
I had a great time today I posted a report and a photo in the central FL section.
Bruce

It was fun getting soaked for about 1.5 hours in 3 to 8 foot vis lots of small fish nipping at my finger tips. NO TEETH for me just a rock!!!!!! I need to hone my hunting skills. I hope to see ya all again real soon. This week end work next scallops hunting I hope I'm better at that. I might have to go hungry. and then who knows were. any ideas?

Yeah - if there is red tide, do NOT eat any scallops or oysters. They are literally little poison pills. We've had 11 people hospitalized for that here in SW FL.

We are going way up north, we are staying in Cedar Key but will have to either go north to horeshoe beach. I have not gotten any good reports so it may be just a day on the water looking around. I am bringing some fishing gear also. So if it's not scallops for dinner Saterday night it might have to be redfish or trout. Any time I can get my wife to join in it is a bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom