Venice Sharks tooth, urgent read please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the guy's Dad answered and said that his son was out of town (I think he said for 2 months) and that he does take people out diving but wasn't sure what he would have to do to get the boat ready.

I've dove with Tim from Submersion Excursion on several occasions and have enjoyed myself. He's very difficult to get a hold of, though, as stated above. If he really wants a charter business, he needs to step things up a bit.

If he were to get a more professional answering system, respond to it, and be available (he seems to take off for months at a time), I would recommend him.

I also am unaware of any staff working with Tim.

That's good to know and exactly why I tried to choose my words carefully. The last thing I wanted to do is give someone a bad rap who didn't deserve it. I just wanted to relay my experience because it didn't seem to mesh with what the poster was saying.

Unlike yourself and many in this part of the pan handle, I do not have 30 years of diving experience. However, I am a professionally trained diver and dive safely.

Neither Nokomis nor Venice are in the panhandle. All divers who have c-cards are professionally trained. That does not make them very good nor does it assure they dive safely.

My instructors and fellow operators would never dive a short fill, even in an emergency rescue.

That seems a bit extreme, especially if someone will die as a result.

There are short fills and there are short fills. It should not matter if your tank is 100% full or not. It should matter if you have enough gas to complete your task safely. Assuming, I can dive for over 2½ hours hunting for shark teeth at Venice Beach on a full AL 80 and return to shore with over 500 PSI remaining, you would recommend against making two dives of 45 minutes each on a single AL 80 without refilling it between dives? Why?

Assuming, I'd made one 45 minute dive on an AL 80 and returned to the boat with 2000 PSI remaining and a diver surfaced 50 feet from my boat, yelling for help then dropped under the surface, you don't think I should attempt a rescue unless I switch tanks?

Sorry, but I disagree. If I was still wearing my rig, I'd go in immediately with the short fill of 2000 PSI. If I'd already removed my tank, I'd go in with mask and fins. Time is critical. Lives are precious.

I've heard about the sharks teeth and I think Tampa Adventure Sports is going over there the first of December for a dive with a retired geologist who knows where to find the fossils.

there is another dive charter in Venice,most of his charters are on the weekend ,he does do a few tooth dives but usually spearfishing. Charter name is Nitrogen Narcosis ,Gary Donahue phone (941)232-0221. Very good good been spearfishing twice and one night dive with him

cbulla & krawdady,

thank you for the invite.

the tip on diving venice at night is great....one night a month we usually hunt at the army tank that is home to the big grouper and dive our third and fourth tanks at the ledges just off the beach seeking both fish and sharks teeth.....found a 13.37 cm meg ...the other day at the edge of the ledge just inside the five mile mark.....

when do you plan to dive Boca Grande Pass ?

i usually dive the pass the coldest three weeks of the year. the home town sharks tend to move a little slower when the scooter is switched on and the minelab is lit up. if it looks like the sea horses are going to rally and stampede with ava and her big lover in the outfield....in the midst of all the lost and abandoned fishing line, i usually change out the nitrox for a set of double mixes and dive with a dui and a chainmael meshsteel surround.....one of the blessed learning curves of diving in the africas....bang sticks a must......

what type of anchors have you come across ? i see that someone off on treasure net was looking for the 1754-1767 coins a wash at manasota key....and states that they be-friended a local who discovered a brass anchor.......during a swim in the gulf.......

about the submersion excursion....i think i saw the operator in the new dive shop up in sarasota before the grand opening......or maybe it was ocean pro....someone told me that he purchased the boat from ocean pro...has it set up to six pack or ten pack, and is purchasing another boat for reserve to run in conjunction.....he purchased the vessel as an investment and runs upon request and no longer actively advertises not wishing to compete with hammerhead steve....or the other local captains...it is said that he trained in the caribbean and the pacific investigating ww 2 ships including u boats...and that his dive crew sometimes includes historic salvers from the days of fisher and the atocha find when working a lease.....

tonight at pops in nokomis a local fisherman shared that his father answers the telephone and doesn't share too much information about the diving except when the owner is in town or will return......it's was rumored this eve...that he has just purchased a btr 80 for rescuing folks during hurricanes and is putting together his vietnam era river boats twin 1500 horse engines....and will may head to dema ........

give the guy another shout......the fisherman this eve apparently knows of the operator....and recommends the service....especially if treaure is in the blood and the first mate andrew is aboard....and a dive instructor jameson......it's rumored that he's one of the best in florida...

oh, by the way, have you been out to the u-2513 ? highly recommend the dive...great fish....but watch out for the ordinance !

I am glad to hear Venice is good for diving. My parents have a condo there that I can stay at for free (I'm from Michigan). I may fly down in November to clean up the condo for my dad. My mom passed away a late August, so my dad is hurtn too much to go the condo. I told him I would go and get it ready for him in January. I'm sure I would have some time to dive. I know I'll be down in February to see him and help him keep busy. I want to take him diving buy he's not certified so I would need a charter/DM to take him out. I only have my AOW. I've dove with him in Ohau and he loves it, just doesn't really have a need to get OW.

I'll check back in when I get more affirmative plans. Maybe hook up with some of you. :)

any reports on beach conditions at venice. we were cancelled out due to the weather tuesday. we are hoping to do a beach dive friday depending on conditions. can anyone post an update on the conditions and save us a ride.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom