Venice Sat 11/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tips. This is kind of off topic but I know that many of you dive from Kayaks in Venice. If you carry an extra tank/gear have you have had any problem or heard of anyone stealing stuff from your kayaks/boats while you were underwater?

I haven't heard of anyone stealing anything out of the yaks while diving, but I'm sure it has happened. I tow my yak while I dive, so if anyone boarded it, I'd know it quickly, but I would be hesitant to leave it unattended with gear setting in it.

So who all is diving this Saturday and what time?
I will be in the area :wink: and may come join you guys
Kim P

I'm hoping to be there around 8:00 am. I'm bringing my yak cuz it's easier for me to get in & out of the water with it but, if a shore diver wants a buddy, I am willing to swim with them & just use the yak as a big dive flag.:D I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with anyone messing with my stuff. Like Moteman, I also tow the boat with me. I did put a "Diver Below" sign on it though, so someone wouldn't come along, not know what a diver's flag was & think it was abandoned.:D

I have this fear of someone coming by in boat and relieving me of one of my Steel
100's by plucking it out of my Zodiac while I'm under water. Maybe it's best just to leave the extras on shore and go back when I'm ready.

How are you guys attaching the kayaks to your BC? Are you directly clipping to the anchor line or are you using something lighter or a breakaway release?

I'd like to dive with you guys soon, tied up this weekend but I'm ready.

I made a made a line with clips on either end & attach it to the back of my yak. I do not reccomend a breakaway line.

I have found the NOAA listing below to be the most accurate, this is actually located on sharkeys pier and if there is a "W" in the wind then diving is usually no good...I have dove in 25kts , but, wind was E and steadily out of the east for several hours .

NDBC - Station VENF1

Yesterday was a good dive between 8:30 - 12:00 , at 12:00 wind shifted and brought in the "w" ..messed up diving for the remainder of day.

How are you guys attaching the kayaks to your BC? Are you directly clipping to the anchor line or are you using something lighter or a breakaway release?

I'd like to dive with you guys soon, tied up this weekend but I'm ready.

I have a clip on my anchor line. After I put down my little 2 1/2 Lb. folding anchor, I gear up, and either pull the anchor up and leave it in the yak, or follow the line down, unclip the anchor, fold & stash it in my BC pocket and clip the anchor line to my BC. If you don't have a pocket in your BC that the anchor will fit, you can always clip anchor and line to your BC & add a bit of air to it. When I get ready to ascend, if I don't want to drift around, I just clip the line back to the anchor and drop it, then follow the line up.

Also I use yellow poly rope, it floats( less getting tangled in it) and is more visible.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom