Venice Sat 11/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,
I'm heading down to visit the inlaws and will be in the vicinity of Venice on Sat 11/10...so, I thought I'd ask around and see if anyone is shore diving this weekend that would be willing to have a fella or two tag along. I've never dove Venice but it looks interesting and I've been looking for an opportunity to head down that way.
Thanks in advance if your willing!

-Dan

Anyone have a report on the conditions in the Venice area this week?
I'm sure it has to be better than the previous week, but how much better?

I'm hoping to be there around 8:00 am. I've been checking the Mote beach report site & they have been reporting the water as clear for the past 2 days.

that mote beach report is a great web site, thanks

seawolfhd, gainesville

Mote Beach Report site? I didn't know such a thing existed. Hey Moteman, do you find that to be pretty accurate?

The best answer I can give you is....it is posted daily by lifeguards on the beaches, but I think some have been out in the sun too long. Water color/clearity is subjective. If you grew up on the Texas coast (as I did) clear means any color in the shade of green, instead of brown. Also it seems that most of the lifeguards don't own a compass or know directions. I've seen one beach report winds from the northeast and another beach less than 10 miles away report south winds. In general the beach report is helpful but should not be taken as official or totally accurate.

The best answer I can give you is....it is posted daily by lifeguards on the beaches, but I think some have been out in the sun too long. Water color/clearity is subjective. If you grew up on the Texas coast (as I did) clear means any color in the shade of green, instead of brown. Also it seems that most of the lifeguards don't own a compass or know directions. I've seen one beach report winds from the northeast and another beach less than 10 miles away report south winds. In general the beach report is helpful but should not be taken as official or totally accurate.

I agree with mote in that you have to remember who's making the report. I usually check all the areas from Manasota up to Venice & see what the majority is. If the water is stated to be clear then I figure it's divable, if it's stated to be moderate then it's iffy but, probably divable if you don't mind low vis. If it's stated as dark, forget it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom