Venice isnt Paradise, but nor is Alexander - weekend of alternates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up on a ranch here in Punta Gorda, and we had two stocked ponds. These critters took over both ponds, and subsequentially killed all of the other fish (bass, brim, and bluegill). We used to find them walking between the two ponds all the time (the ponds were about 200 yards apart).

The catfish we saw were looked about 3ft long (inc pretty long tail). Really couldnt find them in our freshwater fish of N America book - which would tie in with the S America thing. They were hanging around in a tight crevice behind the main boil and we saw a few just sitting out doing nothing on the bottom of the run - mostly they just sat there or swam up the edges of the boil, turned around and descended again.

Reefguy - what critters? These fish surely dont walk on land? :0

These are exotics from Africa, Asia and South America and are called Plecostomas (Pleco for short). There are several varieties that now live in our waters. They start in aquaria about an inch long or so. After two years, they are the better part of a foot and those people who can't do the right thing (kill them), release them into the wild where there is no telling what harm they will do to the environment. However, these are not the infamous "walking catfish" which are exotics introduced from South America.

Most can be caught by hand, and I catch at least one for my students to inspect. They do eat a boat load of algae. Do a search for "Pleco" if you want more info.

Yes, they do. Our ponds were about 200 yards across, and the nearest water they could have come from was close to a mile away. And they infest and destroy. We used to use them for target practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom