Venice Fossil diving...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, while I sift through all the back posts, I thought I would ask anyway. I am going to be in the Venice FL area in a few weeks and wanted to try diving for sharks teeth. Could someone recommend dive charters in the area? I did some snorkeling the last trip there and had a blast. While snorkeling, I saw a small group of shore divers head out in full SCUBA, but all I could do was stand there and watch... :(

Also any other references for "land based" fossil collecting in the area would be great too. Not having any contacts in there, we located a local outfitter that takes "expeditions" up some of the local rivers.

This is actually a vacation for us and the main intent is to find a meg tooth and anything else along the way.

Any information relating to hunting fossils in the area, land or water, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

John,
Give us a call at the shop, and/or check out our web site floridawestscuba.com

Capt. Jamie with "Aristakat" is probably the most experienced Meg. tooth charter out there. He has a nice Web site. Just type in aristakat charters it will give you all the details.

I haven't been on Capt. Dan's boat, but I've heard nothing but good about them. I have been on Capt Jamie's boat several times and have nothing but praise for him. His user name here on SB is Aristakat.

http://aristakatcharters.yolasite.com/

Here's a big tip. Go slow. No, I mean slower than that... really, really slow. Allow your eyes to adjust to the light and look for straight lines in the sand. On a single shore dive, I found 706 sharks teeth just by going slow. Two were megs.

Hi John, If you're in the area and are looking to get out to do some fossil diving or land based fossil hunting give me a call or e-mail me. We do trips daily on land sites, rivers, and diving in the boneyard. You can get more info on our services in my signature line links or here. Man Overboard Charters - Scuba Diving - Englewood, Florida Dan(SOFDiver), is a great captain, and instructor with lots of experience. Jamie(Aristakat) is also a great captain, and has a real passion for fossil hunting in the boneyard. Regardless of the boat and captain, I'm quite sure you will learn, have a fun time, and be safe on any of our dive boats... Thanks for your consideration, Capt. Rick..

Thanks to everyone that replied public and private; have some really good information to go on now.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom