Vehicle to pull a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't make a tow vehicle decision until you know what the boat is.

Find out what what the boat (with motor, trailer, battery, gas, etc) weighs. Then make sure your
tow vehicle has at least 30% excess tow capacity unless you are just towing a mile to the ramp.

Four wheel drive is handy on the ramp.

If you keep the boat in a slip, you need to:

schelp tanks to the boat and back
Pull it and have it bottom painted annually.
Haul your tools to the boat to work on it.
Worry about security.
Buy gas at fuel dock prices (OUCH)
Pay slip fees.

Can you tell that my boat is on a trailer? (17' Boston Whaler Montauk)

Take care, kick butt as required, come back safe.

I agree with what Chuck says, and will add a couple more things to "If you keep the boat in a slip"
* You resolve to doing most all your boating/diving to that specific area
* Increased maintenance on lots of things - motor, fittings, hull, interior or the cover, etc.
*Increased cost of routine maintenance - you have to pay on the water mechanics rates and parts cost versus the shop down the street. Or, if you do your own maintenance, you have to run to the shop down the street, and haul all your tools to accomplish the maintenance, which still might require a haul out.

Also, make sure you know where you will trailer your boat. I live in Colorado, and routinely tow to my houseboat at Lake Powell, UT. That's over the Contential Divide :11:.

I have an older (1997) 3/4 Surban with Vortec 454, 410:1 axles, and every tow option available at the time. And it is marginal on climing at 10,000+ feet towing my boat at Interstate speeds (65+ mph). It also gets poor gas mileage (around 5-6 mph) under these conditions. My dad had a 2003 Ford F-250 Power Stroke (7 liter) turbo diesel does a much better job but still have to watch exhaust temp on the long steep grades at hiher altitudes when the turbo is running at max. And he gets almost twice the MPG over my Subrban. He just boutht a new 2008 SuperDuty F-250 with the new twin turbo diesel, but hasn't towed with it yet, so how much better the 6.3 twin turbo will be in our case it yet to TBD.

My boat is only a 20-ft Ski boat (bought before I started diving) and the whole rig weights less than 5000 pounds. Both tow rigs are rated for 1.5 to 2 times that towing weight! And, they are just adequate as far as power is concerned. I have surge brakes on the boat, and they work fine, but I'm glad that either tow vehicle weights 75% - 80% of what I'm towing. I wouldn't go less unless it's a tractor (18 wheeler).

I guess my point on this rambling is 1) determine what you're going to pull first. 2) Determine where and how far and how often you're going to tow it. 3) Based upon the first 2, don't skimp on the tow vehicle's capability, especially if you're going to be towing anywhere other than on level ground at sea level.

DSCF0190.jpg

My previous ride.

No, I don't tow with the cover on. That pic was when the Tacoma was new and I was fitting the hitch and ball trying to level the trailer. N

Again, excellent information. Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions. I'm still deciding on the boat. Trying to decide the actual uses for the boat (whether or not I'll use it for just diving or if I want to have it as more of a party boat) In a perfect world I'd be able to afford both as I wanted them (boat and towing vehicle and new dive gear and... yea, well... I've got a long list. I'm just glad that I'll be good to go with the choices in vehicles I'm currently looking at.

Nemrod, love the truck. I miss my old one. Damn deer. Thanks for the info everyone. Now I've got somethin to research while I'm in the sandbox. (if I can manage to get internet access)

I pull my 20' 1998 Boston Whaler Ventura with an 06 Tacoma. I have the tow package and surge brakes and it does just fine. Overall, I get about 9-10 mpg with the boat, gear, and passengers. The only mod I've done to the truck performance dual exhaust. I live in FL though. I think I would definately want more power if I were tackling anything larger than the little hills down here. My truck has the TRD Sport package with only 2wd. I haven't had any problems on the ramps yet, but there have been a few times where 4wd would make me feel a little more comfortable. Seems like there are a few Toyota guys around here, you may want to check out Toyota Nation.

Not to dismiss other trucks as stated your needs depend upon many things but since the OP likes Toyotas he may be interested to know that the TRD supercharger package is now available for the Tacoma. It will add about 4,500 dollars to an already premium priced vehicle but for those who want the mostus in the leasest then this is the e-ticket. That Tundra I pictured had the TRD supercharger package in it--installed by yours truly. The good news is since this is a factory TRD package it will not affect warranty. Horsepower is substantially increased as is torque. Nothing like watching supposedly fast cars dissappear in the rearview. We get anywhere from 11.0 to as much as 13.0 towing at 60 MPH. No doubt though that if you go much over 4,000 pounds then in order to have reserve power a bigger truck will be needed (or a diesel or the supercharger package). I don't think I will get the supercharger this time, I am waiting for Toyota to come to their senses and give us the D-Cat diesel they have up their sleeves.

Just an aside, I don't like huge vehicles, I like vehicles I can manuver and which will fit in my garage. I am an ordinary sized person. I saw there was a program where a lady was commenting upon the --uh--growing "size" problem Americans are having and that the auto industry was going to jumbo size their vehicles and she rightly said that if you cannot fit into your car you got a problem that an even larger car will not solve--your rearend---- is to big! My neighbor just bought a Dodge Cummins Quad Cab 4X4. It cost a fortune and he just learned it will not go in his garage so he has to keep it in the barn. He has two jet skis to tow and a 26 horse Kubota tractor. What the heck is he thinking? He also has only two children---? When is big big enough and he commutes with the thing---alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't get it frankly, I don't understand the fascination with the Hummers and 350 one ton trucks and duallys and Suburbuns and driving around in them 98% of the time--ALONE! You cannot go offroad in the things-they are to large and heavy. I guess there is something I am missing with gargantuan vehicles?

N

I never understood the huge vehicle thing either. If you're using it, thats fine. But the 5'2 soccer mom drivin the H2 around by herself to pick up dry cleaning, is a little rediculous. I'm more of a minimalist. I want what I need and a little extra for the "just in case" moments. This the reason for questions like this. Thanks again for all the info everyone. The tacoma is definitely on the top of the list right now. We'll see how it goes. Still gotta get through a 15 month deployment without gettin shot in the face. cross your fingers.

This has been a fun little thread to read. I absolutely agree with you guys on the unnessarily large vehicles. They drive me nuts, mind you the sight of a cute little blonde driving a big truck is pretty intruiging. I drive an '07 Honda Civic, with my eye on a Tacoma someday for towing purposes, when I can afford a dive boat.

Beach Junkie, best of luck to you in Iraq. My brother in law is heading over in March as well. I hope all of you come back safe, sound, and in one piece.

This has been a fun little thread to read. I absolutely agree with you guys on the unnessarily large vehicles. They drive me nuts, mind you the sight of a cute little blonde driving a big truck is pretty intruiging. I drive an '07 Honda Civic, with my eye on a Tacoma someday for towing purposes, when I can afford a dive boat.

I've got a Honda Accord and a full-size Tahoe.

Its amazing how many people will pull out in front of you in that small Honda. They don't seem to do that in front of the Tahoe (because if I don't stop that 6,000 pound Tahoe will just run right over the top of them.).

SO, I have the reverse irritation and people trying to run you over when you're in a smaller car, but won't do it in the larger car.

I've had a few people try the argument on me that my large SUV is a death trap to smaller cars. Most of these people drive YUGO sized cars. I tell them it's not a concern to me as I'll survive the crash (in my larger vehicle) and they won't ... (that just fires them up more, but I realize that, which is why I said it to them in the first place.

Just an aside, I don't like huge vehicles, I like vehicles I can manuver and which will fit in my garage. I am an ordinary sized person. I saw there was a program where a lady was commenting upon the --uh--growing "size" problem Americans are having and that the auto industry was going to jumbo size their vehicles and she rightly said that if you cannot fit into your car you got a problem that an even larger car will not solve--your rearend---- is to big! My neighbor just bought a Dodge Cummins Quad Cab 4X4. It cost a fortune and he just learned it will not go in his garage so he has to keep it in the barn. He has two jet skis to tow and a 26 horse Kubota tractor. What the heck is he thinking? He also has only two children---? When is big big enough and he commutes with the thing---alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't get it frankly, I don't understand the fascination with the Hummers and 350 one ton trucks and duallys and Suburbuns and driving around in them 98% of the time--ALONE! You cannot go offroad in the things-they are to large and heavy. I guess there is something I am missing with gargantuan vehicles?

N

I agree with this too. I do have a gas guzzler in my Suburban, but as my previous post said, it is just adequate for the type of towing I do. I don't drive it around town. I have a small turbo-charged sporty car I much prefer :D. I also use this little car for all my road trips that don't require hauling.

Many who buy SUVs think they are the end of all concerns :shakehead:. There are many of us in Colorado who think maybe they should outlaw, or at least require a special license to drive these when the roads get icy or snowy. We have 20+ times the number of SUVs on their side or upside down when the weather gets bad.:11:

Many people just don't know that being able to go doesn't mean they can steer or stop. :no And, how many SUVs do you see with Studded Snow Tires on all 4 wheels? I use my little car, and do put studded snow tires on all 4 - something I've done since I was a kid, driving up to the ski areas, before they had started mass producing front wheel drive cars. :wink:

As far as my suburban goes, it's a 1997, which I bought as a lease return. It just turned over 25,000 miles on my last trip. That's an average of 2500 miles per year. Obviously, you won't see me driving it alone around town. :mooner:

My post was not to promote the mis-use of large vehicles, but rather to promote the correct use. I have taught boating safety courses for over 25 years, mostly to trailerable boaters. I believe that the tow vehicle, dedicated or not should be part of the budgeting process of purchasing and owning a trailerable boat. I do understand that many people my not be able to afford to have a dedicated tow vehicle. But it is far more dangerous to use too small of a vehicle to tow with than a larger one. It is truely amazing how many people don't give this significant thought before hand and try to jury-rig the undersized vehicle, or end up dissatisified with the whole experience. So, if towing is part of the choosen lifestyle, and one can only afford a single vehicle, I think it's better to someone driving alone in his tow vehicle than a Honda Civic pulling a 5000 pound boat down the highway :11:

Bottom Line: Match the vehicle to the mission.:wink:

My post was not to promote the mis-use of large vehicles, but rather to promote the correct use. I have taught boating safety courses for over 25 years, mostly to trailerable boaters. I believe that the tow vehicle, dedicated or not should be part of the budgeting process of purchasing and owning a trailerable boat. I do understand that many people my not be able to afford to have a dedicated tow vehicle. But it is far more dangerous to use too small of a vehicle to tow with than a larger one. It is truely amazing how many people don't give this significant thought before hand and try to jury-rig the undersized vehicle, or end up dissatisified with the whole experience. So, if towing is part of the choosen lifestyle, and one can only afford a single vehicle, I think it's better to someone driving alone in his tow vehicle than a Honda Civic pulling a 5000 pound boat down the highway :11:

Bottom Line: Match the vehicle to the mission.:wink:

Absolutely agree. I used to use a Honda Accord to tow a 4x6 box trailer with my go kart in it when I was still racing. That was the limit of that vehicle as far as I'm concerned. I definetly agree that if you can only have one vehicle, then of course get the one that is going to be safe for your towing. What I get irked at is the hummer's/huge 3/4 ton trucks, etc. that will never ever see trailer of any size or shape on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom