Vehicle to pull a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now I have 5 boats with the biggest being a 30’ and our dive boat, being a 19’.

The best advise I can give is find the boat then get a tow rig BIGGER than what is recommended to tow it. As an example, Our Astro has a tow package for 5500# just a bit lower than our big boat. But there is on way in H.E Double Tooth Picks I would ever tow that 30 footer with the Astro even a mile or two. The 19’ dive boat is about the limit for that rig and it weighs way less than the 5500 pound rating.

I have a custom built 1 ton dually to tow the big one.

As far as a CDL goes private use is another story. In a lot of cases you need one if you are paid to drive a car with different additions to it as you move up the tonage and cargo ladder. BUT, an old fart that is half blind and can only look straight ahead can drive a six or seven figure motorhome, excuse me, motorcoach, that weights as much as a semi with only a regular class D license. The only thing lower than a class D is a learners permit. Something is wrong with this picture.

By the way, Many thanks for the trip to the desert.

Gary D.

If your is truck is over 10000 lbs you do need a DOT medical card. In New Hampshire and Maine the DOT love landscapers and builders because they all have 1 tons but do not realize they need a med card and it is a easy $75 ticket

http://www.sha.state.md.us/businesswithsha/trucking/oots/DOTNumberFrequentlyAskedQuestions.pdf

I did not know that, thanks for the heads up. If I get the bigger boat I've been looking at I am definitely subject to this and I would have been in violation. Many thanks for that 603doug!

This is very interesting. If I read the Maryland requirements correctly, every truck registered over 10,000 pounds needs to comply, unless specifically exempt. There does not appear to be an exemption for Private Use. I'm not sure how Maryland titles Motorhomes, but it would appear that virtually every motorhome operator would require a Maryland DOT Number.

In contrast, Colorado requires this (basically the same requirements, which are taken from Federal Code) for "any vehicle used in commerce upon the public highways of Colorado..." Additionally, my motorhome is titled in Colorado as a "car" versus a "truck", so it would appear that that would be another exemption to the requirement in Colorado.

Further, Federal requirement it is for "companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce....also, commecial intrastate hazadous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit..." So, as I read this, unless I'm engaged in commerce, or meet the hazmat limits, I don't have to have a USDOT Number either. Also, it doesn't mention "truck" but instead any "vehicle".

I'd be interested to hear what any of you legal-beagles have to say about this and reiprocity between states for out-of-state drivers.

I do know compressed air is technically hazmat and if you have more than 28 al80s you have to be placarded, CDL and no passengers. Alot of shops don't know/follow that one.

Please quote chapter and verse on the 28 AL80s rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom