Vehicle to pull a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I am chiming in kinda of late in this conversation, but I have an 04 1/2 ton Avalanche and drag around a 27' Formula quite easy with it. I know its not the best dive boat in the world, but it sure gets us there quick

I use a diesel f350 dually to pull my 18 fter. Some day I will own an inflatable that fits the truck:D, probably a better idea is buy a truck to fit the 18 (12 miles gal.@ $3.50)

265 hp Nissan Frontier LE, 6 cyl.

Has no trouble pulling a 21ft. SeaRay bowrider with a 5.0 Merc/Bravo 3 I/O, with a dry weight of 3500lbs. on a 1000lb. trailer.

304728810_5ee599d98a_o.jpg

So I'll be even later to chime in but I use an 05 Chevy Duramax to tow my 26' Century ~8000#s fully loaded. The main factor in which vehicle I got was that it had to be diesel and last as long as possible, if you are trailering for a long time with your vehicle TRANSMISSION is important. Hard to beat the Allison I'm stupid. MPG in trucks vary widely in otherwise identical models due to how the I'm stupid is geared, bare that in mind when you are picking your tow vehicle.

I make my own biodiesel from time to time, which depending on whose data you use is great or slightly better than regular from the pump stuff for the planet. Biodiesel is easy to make FYI and you can have everything you need to do it for $1500 at your door.

Just a sidejump question. What sort of drivers license do you guys need to drive such like a 4.5 tonn Duramax + a heavy trailer? Just curious, since I have a CDL myself (Personal "best" was a 70 ton haul...)

I think it more likely to be trailer width that gets most people and not the weight, but I am not sure about the weight.

I do know compressed air is technically hazmat and if you have more than 28 al80s you have to be placarded, CDL and no passengers. Alot of shops don't know/follow that one.

BoatUS.com: Trailering Club

It varies by state, Florida does not have a weight limit except to mandate brakes over 3000#s but does limit Speed, length, width and a bunch of other factors. Max width is 8'6" unless you have a special permit, but still no CDL is required (to a point I'm sure).

Well, upon returning from Afghanistan and getting out of the Army, I plan on purchasing a boat for diving. I've read through the "which boat" section and haven't decided what I will get but have an idea what to look for. I plan on moving to Florida and I was wondering how everyone gets their dive boats from one place to another. Do you keep it docked somewhere? or do you drive it from your house? If you dock it, how much does it cost per month and what are the maintenance things to check and do regularly? If you drive it, what kind of vehicle do you use? I currently have a 01 jeep wrangler. I'm doubting it will be enough to pull a boat but I don't know.

So, the short version, how much does it cost to keep a boat docked somewhere? If you trailer it back and forth, what do you use to pull it? Suggestions for engine size/vehicle type for boat length/type.

thanks for your time.

Over more than a few years towing boats and trailers over a lot of North America I've learned a couple things that may help,
>In some cases it isn't the ability to tow on the highway that drives the choice equation. It is launching and retrieval conditions. I currently own a Four Wheel Drive simply because I have to launch and retrieve over a gravel bank.

If you can avoid it do not get Four Wheel Drive. It costs more to buy and maintain.

>Buy a gas engine. Despite claims to the contrary in modern times unless you are a very high milage driver it just doesn't pay to operate a diesel. Gas engines are cheaper to buy, operate and maintain. Modern gas engines are just as long lasting as diesels and are less troublesome and expensive. Sure, the diesel gets superior fuel mileage some of the time. Run ALL the numbers and for most people gas makes more sense than diesel. (Didn't use to be so; is now)

>My current boats, yes plural, were purchased and are operated for specific purposes. So, start with the boat you NEED and on what you WANT and then think about what you need to launch and retrieve it. if it works to store it where you are going to use the boat by all means do that so you don't have to buy a heavy duty vehicle.

So start at the boat and work to the tow vehicle. If you can store the boat at the launch site by all means do so.

Just a sidejump question. What sort of drivers license do you guys need to drive such like a 4.5 tonn Duramax + a heavy trailer? Just curious, since I have a CDL myself (Personal "best" was a 70 ton haul...)

I'm sure there are some state laws that have more restrctions, but for the most part you don't have to have a CDL unless your combined weight is more than 26,0000 GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight) for your truck/trailer, load/luggage, etc.

There are some exceptions, like if you're carrying hazmat or have air brakes, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom