Vandenberg In Political Trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was surprised they didn't copy the $10 medallion idea like Key Largo shops are selling to dive Spiegel Grove.

It appears that if these financial problems have "surprised" them this late in the game that they really didn't have a well organized effort in the first place.

I remember being in Key West back just weeks after the Spiegel Grove sank and one of the dive shops telling me, just wait until later this year (2002) when we sink the Vandenberg, it'll be better than the Grove. that was in 2002. 6 years later, still nothing.

so they've been working on a sinking date for over 6 years now...

You gonna rename it Buoyant1, the ship that wouldn't allow itself to be sunk?

Then I better change my name to rock bottom lard a$$! :D Git-R-Down!

:shakehead:
My wife has told me that I can never complain about her watching House Wives or Lost and other TV soap operas ever again. :popcorn:She says that nothing on her shows is as inprobable or ridiculous as the plot on the Vandenberg.:shakehead::popcorn:

Looking at the story from Friday's Key West News I think I have it figured out. The Vandenberg will turn up to be sunk off the island on "Lost" with Joe Weatherby as the mystery guest for the next three episodes.:eyebrow::popcorn:

Like this project he will get killed off and live again at least ten times over a year:rofl3:

Given this news story that is about as probable as the ship actually sinking in December.:shakehead::D

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Vandy' money is no sure shot

By Kyle Teal and Sam Nissen kteal@keynoter.com
Posted-Friday, April 25, 2008 6:55 PM EDT

While supporters of the scuttling of the USS Vandenberg are hailing state House and Senate passage of a bill that could direct $1 million in money to the project, it's no done deal yet.

It still takes a signature from Gov. Charlie Crist before the money tree shakes loose, and this is a lean financial year for the state with money being cut at agencies statewide.

According to Monroe County lobbyist Robert Reyes, the money passed both legislative chambers as a line item through the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The governor has line-item veto power over that agency's budget, said Sterling Ivey, press secretary for the governor. He said Crist hadn't been briefed on the Vandenberg project and would not be until the end of the legislative session May 2.

If the governor signs off, the 520-foot former military ship would still need more than $1 million in funding to be sunk as an artificial reef off Key West. Key West Mayor Morgan McPherson has said the legislative funding would lead to additional funding from the state's Office of Tourism, Trade and Economic Development to cover the rest.

Monroe County Commissioner Mario Di Gennaro has said he wants to salvage the project, beset by financial shortfalls, by pushing the sinking into the winter. He's asking the County Commission and Tourist Development Council, boards which he sits on, to extend their funding of it to meet the new time frame.

The ship was to be sunk by May 15. The project is 40 percent over budget and the Virginia shipyard preparing the ship for sinking has placed a lien on it seeking $1.64 million in unpaid bills.

Key West City Commissioner Bill Verge has said the lien did not come as a surprise to project supporters.

- New Legislation Paves Way for Increase in Scuba Diving Tourism -

SAN DIEGO, May 2 /PRNewswire/ -- The Diving Equipment and Marketing
Association congratulates the Florida Senate and House of Representatives
for unanimously passing legislation which establishes a matching grant
program titled Ships to Reefs. This bill, sponsored in the Senate by Mike
Bennett, and in the House by Doug Holder, would authorize the sinking of
decommissioned U.S. Military vessels as artificial reefs to increase marine
habitat and tourism opportunities associated with recreational scuba diving
and fishing.

With 380 decommissioned Navy ships already acting as marine habitat,
Florida leads the nation in the number of vessels functioning as artificial
reefs. Each year, thousands of visitors choose Florida to scuba dive on the
artificial reef trail, providing an economic boost to the communities of
the 272 Florida-based retail dive centers and local diving operators, as
well as surrounding hotels and restaurants. A recent study estimates that
the economic impact of the USS Vandenberg, scheduled to be sunk off the
coast of Key West later this year, will generate between $56-$168 million
over the next ten years.

"Artificial reefs provide the opportunity to increase nature based
eco-tourism and scuba diving tourism," stated Tom Ingram, the Executive
Director of DEMA. "The sunken aircraft carrier USS Oriskany, which is the
world's largest artificial reef, is so popular amongst the diving community
that some local dive operations have up to a three month waiting list for
divers to get on a boat to access Florida's newest artificial reef.
According to one study, artificial reef sites based on sunken ships
generate an average of $3.4 million in gross revenues annually. The
expenditures of divers visiting artificial reefs in Florida were more than
$220 per person per day."

In addition to being spectacular dive sites, artificial reefs provide
additional hard bottom habitats that favor many species of large reef fish.
Additionally they provide alternatives to the natural reefs that can alter
human usage patterns and reduce user pressure on the natural reefs.

DEMA supports the new legislation to establish a program for artificial
reefs and strongly encourages Florida Governor Charlie Crist to sign the
bill as soon as possible. If the bill is signed, the new legislation will
go into effect on July 1, 2008.

DEMA, the Diving Equipment & Marketing Association, is an international
organization dedicated to the promotion and growth of the recreational
scuba diving and snorkeling industry. With more than 1,600 members, this
non-profit, global organization promotes scuba diving through many
initiatives including consumer awareness programs, media campaigns and
sponsorship of the DEMA Show, a trade event open only to companies doing
business in the scuba diving, action water sports and adventure/dive travel
industries. For more information on DEMA, call 858-616-6408 or visit
DEMA.

Actually mike, I bought a sink the vancover t shirt way over ten years ago from Joe in Key west. The project began shortly after Spencer and the key largo group started on the spiegal grove. I was starting on the Texas Clipper back then. Thanks Dema for your support and to those in the Fla legislature who believe in artificial reefs especially ships to reefs.

We had a really great even in support of California S2R last weekend. There were a lot of questions about Vandenberg. The people at the FLorida Keys and Key West booth said that Vandenberg will go down in October or November.:eyebrow:

Is there any substance to this or is this hopeful hype?:shakehead:

I would say it's HYPE to be sunk in October/November.

Hurricane season isn't over until November 30th and is set by NOAA.

The Corp of Engineers won't issue a permit for it to be sunk until after Hurricane season is over, which is why December was the fall-back-date.

The reason they don't want it sunk before is that they don't want it moved into a Key West harbor and sunk due to a storm, or to break loose from its mooring and cause damage as it thrashes around the harbor, or to be "in tow" during a hurricane. (this in the event that they tow it down beforehand for any last minute prep, etc).

This was the whole reason they spent over $1 million towing the USS Oriskany back to Texas to a 'hurricane mooring/pier' so it wouldn't break loose and damage/sink in Pensacola harbor. (this was after it didn't make its sinking date due to the EPA report not being complete.)

so I'm betting any ship dates before Hurricane Season is over is just "HYPE". I definately wouldn't wager any airline tickets on it.

There was all sorts of talk about either the State or the County government bailing them out to the tune of a couple of million dollars. Given how the government likes to reward total idiots for total screwups this has some credibility.:dork2: Particularly in a election year.:popcorn:

I just have a hard time believing that in a election year, with Florida state and county governments so hard hit with the loss of tax revenue as part of the sub prime fallout andone is going to have the political guts to come up with a couple more million for this project.:no

This is a good project but how many politicians want to be associated with a sinking ship in a election year? :rofl3:

:mooner:The cartoonists would have a field day

We had a really great even in support of California S2R last weekend. There were a lot of questions about Vandenberg. The people at the FLorida Keys and Key West booth said that Vandenberg will go down in October or November.:eyebrow:

Is there any substance to this or is this hopeful hype?:shakehead:

We now have legislation in place guaranteeing any county that's looking for a ship that the state will match their funds (this bill passed UNANIMOUSLY through the FL State House): Ships to Reefs

Either way, I wouldn't expect to see the big V sunk until winter or perhaps spring of 2009.

Monroe County has Board of County Commision elections in November and the current crew is not to popular(understatement of the year). This could be the death blow to the ship because it is not too popular outside of KW.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom