Vancouver dives Oct.3/Oct.4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cram

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I know a bunch of Vancouver SBers are heading to Keystone, but I'm too lazy to travel that far this weekend. Anybody up for a couple local dives Saturday or Sunday morning?

I also seem to have a severe case of laziness. I'm planning to head out to the Sasamat cleanup... it would be great to know I've got a buddy. Interested?

I'm planning to head out to the Sasamat cleanup... it would be great to know I've got a buddy. Interested?
Definitely, I'll see you there. Funny, I've been diving with folk from the Langley area for a couple weeks now, but I never knew there was an actual club involved, and now my picture's on their homepage :)

He he, I'm on there too... it's like they WANT us to join their club. I guess we shouldn't disappoint them. See you there!

Here's a little background on the local club/s (from my perspective).

A couple of years ago There was a buddy board at Langley Diving but it didn't get much use. Somehow out of that (or word of mouth) a group of about four of us got together because we were mid week divers. We had a pretty active little email group going and this grew as more divers joined in. Some members were active on SB so by word of mouth some others from there joined the board. Then the Langley dive club started and many of the midweek divers joined it.

At the same time a member of the Langley club was also checking out the Chilliwack dive club (an older club that actually meets in Abbotsford) and some of us eventually joined that club too. As we began having SB dive meets we also began to realise that many board members lived close to one another or visited the same shops/knew the same people.

So, at any get together you can usually find members of SB, the LDC and the CDC (or all three). We seem to be an amorphous blob that meets here and there in different configurations. I like it because you always meet different people and new divers can usually find someone they jibe with.

I wouldn't expect the clubs to be a hotbed of diving (at the moment) but new blood has a way of motivating more action. Most of the dives happen unofficially. The membership can range from totally new divers to old timers who don't get out much (and everything in between). And of course there are the egos and the politics (which I try to either avoid or manage to stir up). Clubs can seem a little constraining at times if you are a free spirit but they do offer a context in which to meet other divers.

Manfred (LDC) has stepped up and committed to Thursday evening dives and Michel (CDC) organizes some nice Vancouver Island charters (Campbell river in November). Manfred was also talking about doing the Sask. in Nov. as well but no details yet.

The LDC is more or less shop affiliated and the CDC is not.
Last time I checked LDC membership was $40 and CDC was $25
Tomorrow, if you want the BBQ bring $15 otherwise just $5 (for the charity). Don't worry about the membership fees.

PS. John and Randy are cowboys - I am not :D

Being my first splash for trash as well as my first freshwater dive, I had an awesome time! Many thanks to everyone who organized, cooked and participated!

I'm not sure I'll be visiting a lake for sightseeing anytime soon but I'll definitely be out again for next year's event.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom