Valve or Regulator Failure

Anyone ever have a true reg or valve failure?

• Yes - and it almost killed me

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yes - but it wasn't life threatening

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 46 83.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once tried to put my reg on a tank in Coz that would not hold its O-Ring. Just turned on the air and the o-ring blew instantly. Tried a second time and it blew again. Geared up with another tank. Because it happened on the boat before I could complete setting up the tank, I don't consider it to be a true failure. It would have been nasty if it had happened in the water.

I had a pretty scary one with a "rented" regulator. The diaphram actually tore,,,, you can imagine what it's like to take a breath and get a mouth full of saltwater.

I admint... panic set in instantly. I needed a breath as I wan't expecting this to happen and had exhaled all the way. I FRANTICALLY struggled to find the octo which thank GOD was working properly.

I NEVER rent gear of anykind anymore (other than tanks that is)

:D

I was diving Chumphon Pinnacle in Thailand when my first stage blew. Fortunately we were on our way down and were slightly more than 30 ft deep. I checked my gauge to see how quickly air was flowing, tapped the DM on the shoulder and headed up to the surface to swap out the reg. Neither the DM nor I had ever seen this before. Fortunately it did not happen at depth.

Dr. Bill

While diving the sand falls at Cabo, the dive master with me suddenly was enveloped in bubbles at 65'. We assumed the buddy breathing position and surfaced. She had an empty tank by that point. Seems this was the first dive she was doing after having her rig serviced by a Mexican Tech. She just swapped tanks and regs and jumped back in. The second dive was great and non-eventful.:mean:

My brother had a screw fall out of a 2nd stage. It held on the exhaust tee and was secured on the inside of the 2nd with a nut. When the screw fell out it left a hole in the 2nd that caused it flood. That was while in a cavern. I had a piece of seaweed that became lodged under a 2nd stage exhaust valve and caused it to leak. My brother and I have both had auto-inflators stick in an "on" position. You just have to be aware that stuff can and does happen.

I have had a high pressure line blow....dumped all my air and the hose flailing around about beat me to death ..............

Complex
Increasing complexity of regulators and SCUBA assemblies improves the quality of performance and those safety factors implied by redundancy of equipment but also introduces more failure points overall. In many years of diving I have seen one failure resulting in bailout (emergency ascent). This occurred in 1975 and involved a twin manifold in which a piece of phenolic from the reserve seat came adrift and clogged the airway. The diver was a women, well trained in water safety and SCUBA certified. She had recently bought the used Voit twin set. There were no lasting ill effects from the event.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom