Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
First off, if you don't think there is any, please don't post here!

A lot of the time, I see people posting something about DIR and saying, "But I'm just a recreational diver, and these things don't apply to the diving I do." The implication is that DIR is only of significant value to the technical diver.

It got me to thinking, though. For which type of diver DOES the system offer the most value?

In the world of recreational diving, you have the most variation in gear and configurations, the most variable buddy behavior and communication techniques and skills, and great variability in skills. But the dives generally aren't high risk.

In the technical world, equipment is likely to be more similar, although there are still outliers. You're more likely to see a team ethic (except in New Jersey wreck divers, as I understand it :) ) and at least in caves, you're going to see a high standard of skills. But those are also the environments where the importance of rapid response to an emergency is so much higher.

So I think it's an interesting question: For which group is an approach involving standardized equipment, gases, skills and protocols going to offer the greatest increase in either comfort or safety?

There is value in being exposed to the DIR system and danger in being assimilated into it to the point that thinking is replaced by the system. Which is like any system out there, diving or not.

2 comments...

thinking is replaced by the system
That would be the antithesis of DIR, although not all that uncommon actually.

those are also the environments where the importance of rapid response to an emergency is so much higher.
Rapid responses are alot less important than accurate responses IMO. Confusion kills more than lack of speed.

But the greatest benefit to an individual or population??

A 1% benefit translated to a huge population of recreational divers may be just as important (in e.g. numbers of fatalities) as a 20% benefit in the smaller pool of technical divers.

I am going to burn for this.......

I think that the DIR approach would be great for new divers. The regimented approach to things that the training take will cement a lot of the basics of diving so that it will become muscle memory, i.e. buoyancy, trim, kicking techniques and, above all, awareness. Once you have those things nailed and begin to learn more about your diving environment you will develop your own approach to the rest.

rjack321:
2 comments...

Rapid responses are a lot less important than accurate responses IMO. Confusion kills more than lack of speed.

I disagree.

Rapid and accurate responses should be the goal of everyone that gets into the water. Perfection isn't going to happen often, but I would like my rescuers-if I ever need them-to have as close a chance to it as possible.

Cerich is right on the money.

People often confuse DIR with technical diving. DIR is an approach to diving and gear having nothing to do, necessarily, with technical diving. Even the DIR forum describes it as the top echelon "from the Andrea Doria to the flooded caves".

There are also 50 lifetime dive DIR divers doing 30' shore dives telling me how my reel will cause an increase in my SAC rate. Ha ha, awesome, give em hell!

I'm quite fond of you TSandM, you're a good ambassador for DIR.

In my opinion this belongs in the DIR forum where no one can say anything negative about DIR.

--Matt

matt_unique:
In my opinion this belongs in the DIR forum where no one can say anything negative about DIR.
I disagree, Either DIR can stand up on its own, or it can't. PLus I wouldn't be able to see the thread then :wink:

Blitz:
I am going to burn for this.......

I think that the DIR approach would be great for new divers. The regimented approach to things that the training take will cement a lot of the basics of diving so that it will become muscle memory, i.e. buoyancy, trim, kicking techniques and, above all, awareness. Once you have those things nailed and begin to learn more about your diving environment you will develop your own approach to the rest.

Good instructors, DIR or not already teach this.

The real issue isn't DIR so much as one of the motivating factors to GUE even being an agency. The lack of good instruction, and it hasn't gotten better.

GUE think of DIR is a holistic system, gear is one small part with the most attention given to it from the outside or new to the sytem, DIR purists take it well beyond gear, diving skills to encompass lifestyle choices/fitness etc. That's fine but for many people a little over the top. (which isn't to say not valid towards being a better diver, they actually all are)

The stuff you mentioned is no more DIR than not drinking coffee is to being a Mormon (now before anybody jumps on me my family is Mormon, I'm not however). It's just one piece of the puzzle.

Things like "the basics of diving so that it will become muscle memory, i.e. buoyancy, trim, kicking techniques and, above all, awareness." should be to diving as Christ is to Christians, common to all, regardless of individual religions.

So from my point of view, nope DIR isn't of huge value to every diver provided they have gotten a good entry level dive education.

I didn't want to put this in the DIR forum, because I wanted the possibility of non-DIR answers.

Notice that I specifically, however, requested that people who find no value to the DIR approach for any diver NOT post here.

The question is: If you think there's value to a standardized approach, is it greater for recreational or technical divers?

cerich, your last post is a good answer to my question. But given the existing state of dive instruction, rather than how it should be, do you see value?

JeffG:
I disagree, Either DIR can stand up on its own, or it can't. PLus I wouldn't be able to see the thread then :wink:

Given the first line of the post:
" First off, if you don't think there is any, please don't post here!"

it would seem to me that any responses disagreeing with the DIR approach are not wanted. That smacks of the DIR forum.

Personally, I see a lot of benefit in the approach, though I believe that new divers have much to think about and would not be able to meet many (any?) of the requirements. However, DIR may be a useful 'goal' to aspire to for new divers (or perhaps any diver).

Just my $0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom