Value of a Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zc3btc

New
Reaction score
I received a pair of scuba tanks as payment from a friend. I do not scuba, and have no desire to do so. I would like to sell them, but I am unsure what value they are worth or how well used tanks hold their value. Friend suggested I ask here how much I should reasonably ask for them.

He purchased both tanks new last year at $300 each. Both tanks are XS Scuba X7 80 cu. foot steel tanks. I'm told the original hydro date is 11/07. He dove with them on about 25 dives or so.

Any input is appreciated.

Scubatoys sells them for $285, so your friend's claim of $300 is just about right. The hydro is very recent, and they're fairly popular tanks. I would think you could get at least $200 each, probably more. If they were 100s I'd buy one!

The original hydro of 11/07 means they're practically new. As long as there's some pressure in them they're probably in great shape inside.

mattboy is right on.

I'd ask $225 and take $200.

Pete

Generally speeking for aluminum tanks I go $50 each if there is no hydro or VIP current but the valve is ok, even less if it needs a new valve. $75 each if they still have at least 2 years in hydro and $100 for a tank with new hydro and VIP and a good quality valve. those numbers are highly adjustable depending on salt water use, type of valve, overall tank age, etc.

for steels it all depends, the first thing I do is open them up and check for any surface rust. Usually there is no reason for a steel that new to have any rust but it can happen if a compressors filter is in poor condition or if the tank was run low. So given that tank has no rust and is that new asking $225 is about right. if there is surface rust inside which requires tumbling take about $30-40 off that. If the tank was O2 clean your value would go up a bit to maybe even $250 or so.

Have you started advertising them yet? I would expect in California you could sell them pretty easily for that $200 range each. Advertise them on here, and see if there are any local dive clubs you could try to sell them to some members.

You would be lucky to get $ 200 each from someone LOCAL:!!! No shipping.
People who know & actually do any diving use steel 100's which can be purchased for $ 249 each!!!!!!!!
You cannot legally ship a pressurized tank. If a tank is not pressurized and brought to a REPUTABLE dive shop, it would have to be hydro and possibly VIP.
That is why tanks are sold locally.

You cannot legally ship a pressurized tank. If a tank is not pressurized and brought to a REPUTABLE dive shop, it would have to be hydro and possibly VIP.
That is why tanks are sold locally.

Why would it need hydro? AFAIK, new tanks shipped from the manufacturer come certified out of the manufacturering process and don't require another hydro on arrival. You sure you don't have the visual and hydro mixed up?

Back
Top Bottom