Value of a Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a tank is not pressurized and brought to a REPUTABLE dive shop, it would have to be hydro and possibly VIP.

That is incorrect. An empty tanks needs to be visually inspected before it is closed and filled, but hydro testing is only required in its due date (typically every 5 years) or if any major damage such as excessive heat from a fire is suspected.

The reason a visual inspection is required is because it is possible for foreign mater (such as moisture, water, dirt, bugs, etc) to get into an empty tank, during shipping or storage.

You cannot legally ship a pressurized tank.

you can ship a tank with up to 40psi of pressure in it before it's considered hazmat for DOT and Title 32 guidelines. some online merchants such as Divers Direct put a small amount of pressure in the tank and ship it with the valve on, under pressure.

If a tank is not pressurized and brought to a REPUTABLE dive shop, it would have to be hydro and possibly VIP.

I think Louis H covered this already :D

That is why tanks are sold locally.

Lots of tanks are sold online. check any major online merchant and they sell and ship tanks....

If the tank was O2 clean your value would go up a bit to maybe even $250 or so.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd take it on trust that a secondhand tank was O2 clean.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd take it on trust that a secondhand tank was O2 clean.

I wouldn't trust a "brand new tank" from the manufacturer that has an o2 clean sticker on it from the factory.

Why? because I've bought tanks 'brand new' before that were filthly inside even though the manufacturer claimed them to t be o2 clean. (even though they came sealed also).

so for a basis, don't trust anyone, including the manufacturers.

I wouldn't trust a "brand new tank" from the manufacturer that has an o2 clean sticker on it from the factory.

Why? because I've bought tanks 'brand new' before that were filthly inside even though the manufacturer claimed them to t be o2 clean. (even though they came sealed also).

I clean new steels (also found them to sometimes be filthy), but don't bother with AL from Luxfer. They're making a lot of O2 medical bottles and I doubt those are being cleaned prior to use.

Very true - I actually found burn marks and soot inside my tanks around the valve seal the first time I took it apart - it had previously come "O2 clean" from the shop.

Yes, I prefer to do my own O2 cleaning now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom