Valsalva expels air from eye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orion DM

Reaction score
OK, this is going to be a strange question.

I remember reading - I believe it was in one of last years Dive Training Magazine but may be wrong about that - a letter from a diver who described the following problem: While attempting to equalize using Valsalva he/she seemed to feel air flowing/bubbling/being expelled in some fashion from the inside (tear duct side) corner of their eye or possibly eyes.

The response to the letter was something along the lines of : this isn't common but also not a really bad thing, it is called ???? ..... and that is all I can remember.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Does anyone know what this is called?

I had this when I started diving but eventually stopped using Valsalva to equalize - learned to flex appropiate muscles - so it is not a problem, it was never really a problem, only a minor curiosity, but when I saw that article I had one of those So THATS what that is!! moments and I would love to be reminded of what the heck that is as not remembering is driving me totally nuts at the moment.

Thanks

I don't know what it is called but I read once that about 20% of people can do it to various degrees (many probably don't know they can). It might come in handy as a free dive goggle equalization technique. I heard someone blew out a candle on one of those "stupid human tricks" shows. I can get a little toot out of one eye. Some even develop the skill needed for a true Guiness World Record performance

I haven't tried to blow bubbles with my eyes, but I remember once I had these eye drops and whenever i used them I could taste them a minute later. I had to eat candy to cover the taste whenever I used the drops.

Wendy:
I haven't tried to blow bubbles with my eyes, but I remember once I had these eye drops and whenever i used them I could taste them a minute later. I had to eat candy to cover the taste whenever I used the drops.

This happens to me too...forgot about that.

I can blow air out my left eye. Unfortunately, I can't with my right. That didn't stop me from seeing how minimalist I could take take scuba diving one day. Wearing one a modified pair of swim goggles with only a left eypiece, I grabbed a 50cf scuba tank (no regulator) and dove to the anchor at 100 feet. It took me a while to get there because I don't have quite the output volume to equalize fast, and equalizing and valve sipping takes practice. That was quite a while ago when I was 19 and a dive instructor in Hawaii. Have also considered doing it again, this time on video (given enough demand).

I wonder though, does eye-blowing repeatedly make the hole bigger?

teksimple:
I can blow air out my left eye. Unfortunately, I can't with my right. That didn't stop me from seeing how minimalist I could take take scuba diving one day. Wearing one a modified pair of swim goggles with only a left eypiece, I grabbed a 50cf scuba tank (no regulator) and dove to the anchor at 100 feet. It took me a while to get there because I don't have quite the output volume to equalize fast, and equalizing and valve sipping takes practice. That was quite a while ago when I was 19 and a dive instructor in Hawaii. Have also considered doing it again, this time on video (given enough demand).

I wonder though, does eye-blowing repeatedly make the hole bigger?

Wellll, I am torn between being glad that no one thinks I am nuts for bringing this up and being slightly grossed out.....

My problem when I tried to equalize was that I would hold my nose and blow, and the air would come out into my mask - hence no luck with equalization. It drove me nuts for a bit but I soon got used to equalizing other ways.

I always wondered that too, if eye-blowing repeatedly makes the hole bigger?

On another note, I just tried to do it while sitting here and I can't anymore. Maybe it is one of those use it or lose it abilities. Darn, I guess I lost it...

:broken_he

I can occasionally do it by accident. Simetimes when I try to blow my nose air and other substances come out my tear duct. I'm so full of class it comes out my... eye.

Wendy:
I remember once I had these eye drops and whenever I used them I could taste them a minute later. I had to eat candy to cover the taste whenever I used the drops.

Wendy,

Don't feel badly. You're are not weird. (Well, you may be, but not because of this!) This is quite common. It happens to most people, actually, including myself!

Cheers!

Rob
:doctor: DMT

Back
Top Bottom