Valparaiso -- Old dive shop, New Owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Grumby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay folks, for anyone living and diving in the Ft Walton/Destin area, you may or may not be familiar with an LDS in Valparaiso. It USED TO BE called Chuck's Dive World. That is no longer the case, as it has a new owner, and is now called "Discovery Dive World".
I have personnally visited this LDS twice in my life. The first time was under it's old management. After that visit, I swore I would "never" go back. However, the change in management was too great a temptation for me. I went in today and got a very pleasant surprise.
The new Owner was in and trying to get things up and running. Even though he was obviously "task-saturated", he took the time to speak with me and answer quite a few of my rather annoying "noob" questions. He also showed off a very nice selection of DEEPLY discounted wetsuits and computers, to name a couple of the very good deals he has on offer right now. If I remember correctly, he mentioned something about a "good-old fashioned Garage Sale" coming soon (this weekend?).
Please understand people, I am not a paid advertisement here. I am just very excited to see that there is a new face in town that has a clue about customer service.
I invited him to come on over to the "Scubaboard Family" and introdce himself. Maybe this thread will help convince him to do just that.

Capt Grumby

Hey Capt Grumby, thanks for the heads up.

By the way, we're diving Destin's Jetties this Sunday, meeting at 3PM. Be there, or be... warm somewhere else :/

Dude, thanks for the invite, but I have to go out of town for a week. I will be driving (not diving) all day Sunday.

I think it only fair to warn you, there are NO CAVES at the Jetties!
Have fun and dive safe!

I want to say hi to everyone and introduce myself as the new owner of Discovery Dive World. Thanks, Capt Grumpy, for the warm welcome. If anyone's in the area (Valparaiso), I'd like to invite you to stop by and say hi and take a look at the changes to the store...well stocked and always plenty of monthly specials! I'm committed to serving the local dive community and am always open to new ideas...inventory, services, dive travel interests,etc... I am in the market for a part-time manager, eventually becoming full-time. If you have an interest, please stop by and grab an application. Here's a couple of the changes to the shop since I took over in Sep: Dive charter service to Destin and Pensacola (spearfishing too), 90-day 0% financing, gift cards, monster special on head-to-foot package (ongoing), Nitrox POSSIBLY coming soon:) As a reward for reading this lengthy message, I'll give 10% off any non-sale item to anyone who mentions reading this through the month of February. Take care and thanks again, Grumpy.

Welcome to ScubaBoard DDW Scuba, hopefully I'll be able to check out your shop soon enough.

Can you give an address for the shop? Will have to make the trip up from FWB to check the shop out.

I want to say hi to everyone and introduce myself as the new owner of Discovery Dive World. Thanks, Capt Grumpy, for the warm welcome. If anyone's in the area (Valparaiso), I'd like to invite you to stop by and say hi and take a look at the changes to the store...well stocked and always plenty of monthly specials! I'm committed to serving the local dive community and am always open to new ideas...inventory, services, dive travel interests,etc... I am in the market for a part-time manager, eventually becoming full-time. If you have an interest, please stop by and grab an application. Here's a couple of the changes to the shop since I took over in Sep: Dive charter service to Destin and Pensacola (spearfishing too), 90-day 0% financing, gift cards, monster special on head-to-foot package (ongoing), Nitrox POSSIBLY coming soon:) As a reward for reading this lengthy message, I'll give 10% off any non-sale item to anyone who mentions reading this through the month of February. Take care and thanks again, Grumpy.

Hey Glen, have fun at the Jetties today.

The address is 92 S. John Sims Parkway (Hwy 20). in Valparaiso.
If you are coming from FWB or Shalimar, the easiest way to go is to take Eglin Parkway (after the airport it's called Government Ave)(85 south), and use the Valp turn (SR 190). Take that until it hits Hwy 20, and the Dive Shop will be right in front of you (slightly left of center).

If you are coming from the base, drive down Hwy 20 until you pass Giff's Sub Shop. The Dive Shop is on the other end of that "strip mall".

Coming from Niceville or the Mid-Bay Bridge area, head for the base. Once you get into Valp and past the Vanguard Bank, look for it on your Left. It will be the second "strip mall" you get to. It comes up quick, so be ready. You will have to make a U-turn to park.

Just a word about the parking. There is parking on the street in front, but there is also a small parking area just past the end of the building.

Capt Grumby

Attachments

• DDW2.jpg
    DDW2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 79
Welcome to the 'Board, DDW! I don't head over to Destin that often, but next time I'm in the area I will definitely stop by and check out the shop. Let us know when you're heading up to the springs.

DDW Scuba,
Congratulations on your new business! I work at the base, so you've got a great location for me. (I didn't stop by much under the previous ownership, though)
I will stop bye this coming week to say hi.
S&V

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom