Vail, Keystone, ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquadreamin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello, Rokey Mountain Oysters

I know this is a dive forum, but I have had such good luck with travel advice here on Scubaboard I thought I would put this out there. I'm trying to plan a ski trip and out to Vail, Keystone,Breck or one of the surronding areas in March. Does anybody have any suggestions on booking a condo? Agents, Websites, Etc...

Thanks for your input
Tom in Florida

I can't offer to much help except to say that if you want to hit all the areas that you are looking at Copper Mountain or Silverthorn would be right in the middle of Vail, Breck, and Keystone. Silverthorn would most likely be the cheapest rather than at a resort. I cant give you any good ways to book as we just drive up for the day.

Ski in Ski Out? What exactly are you looking for?

My friends have Colorado vacation guide to vacations in the resorts of Colorado which features lodging info for the Summit Area.

Breck is the most fun, and the mountain is good too... I've lived there for more than 15 years.

Keystone is a good destination / family resort.

Vail is going to be the MOST expensive, but the mountain is awesome.

Well Silverthorne, Keystone and Breck are all really close to each other. Copper isn't too far away and a little longer (maybe 45 mins) is Vail. Keystone has a newer village that has a lot of condos for rent. It's been awhile since I've been skiing but I started to like Keystone more than Breckenridge. Vail is definitly more expensive and crowded, furthest from Denver out of those 3. I'd personally pick Keystone and your still very close to Breck to ski there also. We've been getting lots of consistent snow lately so it's probably pretty good powder.

Just check out their websites, I'm pretty sure you can find the condos listed on there.

The skiing at Breck and Keystone are similar with a slight edge to Breck. The town meaning bars, restaurants, and the like is probably better at Breck. It may be just me but the wind seems to be always blowing at Breck. Vail is more expensine but huge and the skiing is great. You could easily ski for a week and not ski the same terrain over and over. Vail village has great restaurants and bars but it is pricey. Try snow.com for info and booking info for all three resorts.

Craig

Tom,

As others have asked, what is your budget? What kind of properties? Condos, hotel, house?

What are your skiing plans? What kind of skier are you?

Vail is expensive, but the value for the dollar may be worth it. Beaver Creek can be skied on the same lift ticket, which gives you even more choice in the vast terrain which is offered. There are hundreds of restaurants, great clubs, plenty to do. The town looks like a European ski village.

Breckenridge is an active refurbished victorian mining town. Its more down to earth than Vail, and it offers many choices of great restaurants and clubs. Its not quite as expensive as Vail, but ALL ski areas are expensive! The skiing is very good, but because of its high elevation and location on the continental divide, it can be cold and windy, even on sunny days.

Frisco and Silverthorne will not afford you with the quaint ski town atmosphere, but lodging and restaurants are more affordable. You can also drive to Keystone, A-Basin, Breckenridge, Copper, or Vail from there.

A-Basin is a Day area with good skiing and small crowds. Keystone is great for families, but will not offer the action that can be had in Breckenridge or Vail.

Copper Mountain is a large mountain with every kind of terrain, but also is limited in the choices of restaurants and clubs.

You can't go wrong with any of the Summit County ski areas or Vail or Beaver Creek. In fact if you have your own vehicle, it is possible to stay in one place and ski at A-Basin, Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Vail and Beaver Creek. The choice on where to stay depends greatly on the atmosphere you want and how much you want to spend. The closer you stay to the slope the more you pay. Snow.com will have information on Keystone, Breck, Vail and Beaver Creek. There are discounts on multi-day tickets but if you are coming through Denver, stop at a King Soopers grocery store for the best prices. If you are on a budget and still want to ski Vail and/or Beaver Creek, try Christie Lodge in Avon, Colorado in Avon, CO. There is a free shuttle to BeaverCreek and reasonably cheap shuttle to Vail only 8 miles away. We go there every year for Spring Break and never ski the same run twice during the week.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far. We have narrowed it down to Vail and Breckenridge. My wife is actually pregnant right now so skiing for her is out of the question. We need a place that has additional shopping and attractions. Another couple is coming with us so we can alternate out skiing so my wife never has to be alone. What is the best way to book a condo or room. We are planning on staying Thurs.-Sun. in the month of March.

Thanks Tom

Tom.

Breckenridge Colorado | is the town's Chamber of Commerce's website.

If you look there, and see something, I can tell you if it's good or a dump. Like I said, I've lived in breck for 15 + years.

I will tell you that March is good snow, but also busy because of Spring Break...

I second about Breck being busy in March. I actually prefer Beaver Creek in that its farther out from Denver and the crowds aren't nearly as bad. But we are picking nits here. I love all of the areas (and have had Vail's Colorado ski pass because of it). I haven't skied Breck yet this year because of high winds, but have the in past as well as the others.

But Beaver Creek is on a service level that may only be rivalled by Deer Valley in Utah. And Vail is right next door.

Back
Top Bottom