Vacuum Therapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
What would happen to a wetsuit left at 2 bar for an extended period in a dry pressure chamber. Would air seep into the closed cells of the neoprene, resulting in a puffed up suit when returning to the surface?

Another curious engineer,

Charlie

I'm curious too, doesn't pressure compress stuff, which would get rid of the air in the cells of the rubber.

When neoprene collapses, the material actually degrades enough so that the actual cells of air are ruptured. You can't let air "seep" into them.. they're just broken. Putting it in a vacuum might increase the volume slightly.... but only while it's in the vacuum. Putting it at 2 atm will do nothing at all besides compress it slightly while it's in the chamber.

hardhat:
I'm curious too, doesn't pressure compress stuff, which would get rid of the air in the cells of the rubber.
Imagine a balloon. You can't refill it by subjecting it to outside pressure.. and you can't make it larger (ultimately) by putting it in a vacuum. You'd need to open it up, add air, then close it back up again. Imagine doing that to a million bubbles in neoprene.

jonnythan:
Putting it at 2 atm will do nothing at all besides compress it slightly while it's in the chamber.

Jonnythan how about explaining to me how DUI compresses their suit made of compressed neoprene. As I understand it DUI builds the CF200 out of normal neoprene which they then compress. How does this process work? Sound like you're an authority on the subject of compression, vacumm, and neoprene.

Actually gas molecules can pass through elastomer's under pressure/ vacuum without tearing, rupturing, ripping. Try using different gases you may get that suit to be 15mm thick.

Rick

hardhat:
Jonnythan how about explaining to me how DUI compresses their suit made of compressed neoprene. As I understand it DUI builds the CF200 out of normal neoprene which they then compress. How does this process work? Sound like you're an authority on the subject of compression, vacumm, and neoprene.
I don't know how they do, and I don't know if a lot of people outside do. Their site says it involves heat and pressure, so my thoughts are the fabric is heated to a state where it's more fluid than normal and most of the air is forced out while the plasticy fabric is mashed together. This would rupture the air cells, let the air out, and allow the fabric to retain its strength and watertightness as it congeals. That's just a guess though.

I'm not an authority on anything, I just have a somewhat decent handle on basic physics.

Back
Top Bottom