Smokers *and* ex-Smokers take note!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a rare smoking diver unfortunately. In the process of trying to quit ( I am on Chantix and waiting for it to build up in my system before my quite date in a couple weeks )

This is exactly the reason I am quitting though. If it werent for diving, I doubt i would be nearly as concerned.

Rare in the US/EU/ANZ. Go East in Europe and down to Asia... As they say in Russia, he who doesn't drink and smoke will be a very healthy corpse.

Quite fatalistic approach... might as well say, if I'm going to die anyway I can kill myself right away, why all the hassle inbetween?

It's Russia. No BOOM! today: BOOM! tomorrow.

I am a rare smoking diver unfortunately. In the process of trying to quit ( I am on Chantix and waiting for it to build up in my system before my quite date in a couple weeks )

This is exactly the reason I am quitting though. If it weren't for diving, I doubt i would be nearly as concerned.
Good to hear you're quitting...my wife and I were diving smokers. After about thirty years of smoking we both quit in 2015 with the Chantix. After a while I started reducing the number of smokes I had on the way to/from work etc. Then it went down to one before lunch...after a while I was motivated to try no cigarette all day...and so on. Keep up the process and think about the quitting...the thinking about helped us shake it.

I never smoked and am the only one in my family who didn't. Turns out that I'm allergic to pollution, including smoke. I simply don't understand it. I'm sure I don't want to understand it. No, I'm not into shaming anyone: that's just wrong. Some of my best friends smoke and they know where I stand and that I'm allergic. I don't know what's going to convince people to give it up. Logic, facts and scare tactics don't seem to work. Whatever it takes: just stop!

I never smoked and am the only one in my family who didn't. Turns out that I'm allergic to pollution, including smoke. I simply don't understand it. I'm sure I don't want to understand it. No, I'm not into shaming anyone: that's just wrong. Some of my best friends smoke and they know where I stand and that I'm allergic. I don't know what's going to convince people to give it up. Logic, facts and scare tactics don't seem to work. Whatever it takes: just stop!

It's a horrific addiction, that's all I can tell you, Pete. Quitting was one of the hardest things that I've ever done and it took many times to be successful. And all that said, I've still been known to smoke on vacations despite my doctor having told my sister that if I ever smoked again, that I would die (was in ICU at tge time). If I do smoke on vacation, immediately become a chain smoker, which I never was before. Fortunately, as soon as returning home, I'm a non-smoker again.

I see a lot of people switching to vaping thinking it’s a safer alternative.
Is it really safer?
Then I hear that nicotine is the poison, the tar is bad too but the nicotine is the real bad guy.
So if that’s true then smoking vaping and chewing are all poison.
When I went through the class before my hip replacement surgery they told us to stop ANY tobacco products including gum or nicotine replacement products to help quit smoking. They did not want anybody using anything at least three to four weeks before the surgery to avoid blood clots and stroke. I didn’t have to worry because I don’t use any of it, I’m just saying.
Sounds to me like nicotine in general is the real poison. I know they use it in high concentrations as an insecticide.

I see a lot of people switching to vaping thinking it’s a safer alternative.
Is it really safer?
Then I hear that nicotine is the poison, the tar is bad too but the nicotine is the real bad guy.
So if that’s true then smoking vaping and chewing are all poison.
When I went through the class before my hip replacement surgery they told us to stop ANY tobacco products including gum or nicotine replacement products to help quit smoking. They did not want anybody using anything at least three to four weeks before the surgery to avoid blood clots and stroke. I didn’t have to worry because I don’t use any of it, I’m just saying.
Sounds to me like nicotine in general is the real poison. I know they use it in high concentrations as an insecticide.

Arsenic too but nicotine is probably the addictor, not to mention the physical act itself. Sometimes I still literally will dream of having a cigarette and in the dream, the satisfaction is coming from the inhale flow of smoke into my lungs.

The first couple of times I literally had a guilt trip in that dream: why oh why did I start again. :D

I used valium for a couple of weeks to get rid of smokes grog and coffee at the same time
and got rid of all the other duds that I used them with too
didn't try smoke it though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom