Vacuum cleaner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepScuba

Reaction score
I'm in need of some plans or ideas to make a vacuum cleaner of sorts. It will operate off of an ALU80.

I have heard there are ones out there that use HP air to create a vacuum at one end of the "hose" to suck out the dirt/silt etc.

Anyone ever see one of these in action?

Could I assume it's something as simple as "blowing" HP air through a tube, creating a vacuum behind it?, like siphoning gasoline out of the Ole man's Buick?

What I think you are talking about is an air lift.

The size used is dependent on how much material you want to move, how much air you have available and how deep is the water.

For a small simple unit to carry and use with a simgle tank get a 10' piece of 2" PVC pipe. Put a foam collar at one end. At the other end drill a hole and put in a small pipe fitting, valve (ball is easiest to use) and fitting to attach a BC inflator hose.

Better is if you can run a compressor in a boat above you so the air supply is relatively unlimited. Bigger compressor will give you the ability to use a bigger pipe and move material faster.

Remember that the material going through the air lift is going to come down somewhere. Please don't burry coral.
Be ready for visability to get bad.

If you read some of the older treasure diving books you can learn a lot about this stuff. I suggest "Diving to a Flash of Gold" by MeLach, I may not have this exact and my spelling may be off, but this should get you started.

Is the foam collar to provide flotation for the output end of the airlift? I have plans to make a "travel" version of one of these for a couple of different applications, that I can break down into sections for transport, or at least make a short section containing the valve attachment for use with a length of 2" pipe sourced at the destination.

You want one end to float.

For best handling make the whole rig slightly negative so it doesn't float away if you let go to grab something.

So you're saying, the inflator fitting and ball-valve go in the same end? So it "sucks" right there (Through the valve?), and the "floaty" end (foam end) is where the stuff starts a flying out?

Coral..hehehehehheh, yeah.......coral.......I'm in Canada!!!

tehehhe

OK it was funny for me :)

So do I have it basically right? Honestly, I've never seen one before, and I don't want to waste time fooling around, I just want to make one that works the first time.

The guys are gonna be PI$$ED when I screw the vis though :)

I figure it will take all year and about 300 ALU80's to complete.

Either that, or 50ft of tube to get most of the stuff away from the sight.

Why did I know you were going to be the one to answer Pipedope?

Basically the idea is that you put air in the tube, and as it rises it "sucks" water along with it.

10' is a looong ways when you're talking pressure gradient - it'll get ripping.

Beware that what goes up will come down; watching someone use one of these, or even better, videotaping them when they first turn it on, is quite a trip :D

DeepScuba:
Either that, or 50ft of tube to get most of the stuff away from the sight.
My understanding is that these things get quite dangerous to use if you build them too large - you might want to do some research on what length/bore is going to be safe to use versus what you want to do with it. Too much suction = no flesh on the bones of your hand. I'm planning to start with 10' length x 2" diameter.

heeheh, I smell a Darwin of an idea coming :)

Thanks guys :)

Oh lord.

If you try a 50' long one, please make sure SOMEONE is shooting video when you turn it on :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom