vaccinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
for those of you who travel a lot, do you get vaccinations prior to travel? which ones?

matt215:
for those of you who travel a lot, do you get vaccinations prior to travel? which ones?
Depends on where you are going. I usually check the State Dept website for whatever country you are visiting and I also check with my regular Dr (He's a well travelled diver as well) before I go. So far, I've never actually needed any shots, but occasionally he will give me some "just in case" antibiotics for when I'm doing liveaboards in remote areas.

Diptheria/Tetnus(usually the same shot,ask your Doc) Hep A &B(a series of shots so it takes some forethought)Polio is always a good one for you younguns that didnt get it as a child.

I've travelled around quite a bit in the past mainly in Central America and sub-Saharan Africa. I would advise anyone travelling in these areas to take anti-malarial drugs, a yellow fever and tetanus shot and a butt full of gammgobulin (not sure of the spelling on that one). If you are going to be around any animals I'd advise rabies also. If you are the horny type who either just can't wait or have a tedency to forget things while drinking you should carry condoms at all times and try to rememer to use them. Most third and fourth world countries have anywhere from 40-80% HIV rates. A good example is the Bay Islands (Roatan).

Tetanus, hep A and B are the most essential. Rabies is rare in the Caribbean and, unless going to a country where the vaccine is unavailable, prophylactic vaccination is usually unwarranted (plenty of time to get the shots after exposure). No vaccines for malaria (yet)...

You can always check the Centers for Disease Control site for the current information regarding where you plan to travel. This is one topic, despite the best intentions from SB members, that you should refer to experts, including your doctor.

matt215:

Check the CDC Web Site at the following URL

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/vaccinat.htm

There is also a good article in the current issue of Scuba Diving magazine.

The suggested/required vaccinations vary depending on your destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom