Vacation rental in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Grumby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this has been asked in a thousand different variations, but I am going to ask as well.

Where would you suggest I rent in the Keys for a week-long vacation? My specifics are:
  • Mid-June time frame, but very flexible through late July
  • Non-diving spouse (but will snorkle)
  • 12 yr old daughter, very new to diving
  • 2 small dogs (mini-dauchunds, VERY house-trained)
I would like to dive about half the time, as economically as possible, with the other half spent relaxing and being a "damn tourist".

I know nothing about the difference in the Upper and Lower Keys (diving, lifestyle, amenities, ect) and am looking for any and all input from the local subject matter experts.

I was thinking about Kawamas (just because Speargirl is a SB member) but their website indicates no pets, so .... let me know what you guys think!

Rent a house in Key Colony Beach, Marathon. Halfway between Key Largo and Key West so you are within an 1 to 1.5 hour drive of either end, close enough to do day trips. Reefs off Marathon are excellent and well suited for beginner divers. They are shallow enough for snorkelers and there are several catamaran snorkeling charters there. Houses are economical when renting by the week and since they aren't part of a corporate condo management you may have better luck finding an owner willing to offer that option.

Talk to Speargirl about the pets thing. I don't know if she can do anything about it but its worth a shot.

No rental info but Big pine Key is a prime location..35 miles north of Key West w/ Looe Key reef at your door w/ shallow, low current dives. If you ask around there some quarry dives there also.

Talk to Speargirl about the pets thing. I don't know if she can do anything about it but its worth a shot.

Thanks for the post :D I do have a place you can rent that will take pets in Kawama's. They need to be house broken and stay on a leach outside.

Thanks for the post :D I do have a place you can rent that will take pets in Kawama's. They need to be house broken and stay on a leach outside.

Becky, PM sent.

As far as the dogs go, they are both leash trained, voice responsive, spoiled rotten lap dogs that eat better than I do and seem to be above me in the houshold pecking order. I would love to be reincarnated as one of these dogs .... except dogs don't (normally) DIVE!!!

Becky, PM sent.

As far as the dogs go, they are both leash trained, voice responsive, spoiled rotten lap dogs that eat better than I do and seem to be above me in the houshold pecking order. I would love to be reincarnated as one of these dogs .... except dogs don't (normally) DIVE!!!

:rofl3:
That's funny you should hook your dogs up with ScubaJennys dog he free dives all day long. He should have been born with gills and fins not paws.:rofl3:
Bless his heart he tries to bring back dinner for us, but has yet to master that skill.

If you want to make it to Key West stay at The Palms Hotel. They are very very dog friendly. We stay there every New Years. The prices are much more reasonable in the summer than during the New Year. As far as diving goes, I would recommend Captain's Corner. My wife and I have used them and they are great. They have great prices too.
Good Luck and have fun.
PS.. We are going to be there in late July

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom