Vacation - Cozumel Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I guess that puts an end to this thread

Christi:
Stan,

That is the same statement that they issue for travel to ANY foreign destination...it is practical travel advice...not specific to Cozumel, or even Mexico for that matter. The point is to be prudent and not to invite criminals to prey on you.

FACT: ANY part of Cozumel is safer than most US cities, and I take exception to your implication that it is full of thieves.

I don't have a problem with you having your opinions if they are based on fact and/or personal experiences, and I can absolutley accept the fact that not everyone loves Cozumel as much as many of us, but to make a blanket judgment on Cozumel for a bad dining experience is infantile. Your remarks sound like you are basing your judgments on one single trip and one restaurant.

There are two types of vacationers...tourists or travelers.

Tourists want to visit other places to say they've been there and done that. Not only do they have no desire to experience other cultures, they completely disrespect it. They expect people to speak "American" to them, they expect people to bow down to them, and they expect everything to be "American" or like it is in "America."

Travelers on the other hand, visit other countries to experience different cultures and to learn about different cultures. They RESPECT the local people, culture, and traditions. They make an attempt to adapt thier behaviors to those appropriate to where they are. They try local cuisine and are gracious to their hosts in the foreign country.

Which category are you in?

I asked before, when was the last time you were here? I think MANY would be amazed at how much cleaner the streets are and how much better the waterfront looks. Our new Cozumel President has done more in his 3 months in office than most do their entire term.

"RACKEM"

WOW...I missed alot today...glad I was out diving all day!

goofystan:
I was there in Feb of this year and have been several times. I am going back in August for seven days. You are quite defensive. Like I said before each person has their own tastes and experiences. First hand experience was Nasty, Dirty non-air conditioned restuarants (some) and being bugged by the street vendors. Not all of the dining establishments are nasty however you must admit that there are some places there that you would not eat in (or you might if your used to garbage).

I didn't assume you had only been here one time, in fact I asked you how many times you had been here and said based on some of your remarks, it SEEMED as if you had only been here once.

Now you say FIRST impressions were bad, but you've been here several times and are going back. My question is why do you keep coming back when this is how you feel about Cozumel and why do you still refer to only your "first impressions" if you've been here several times?

goofystan:
Your statements are full of innuendos of me making blanket statements such as "Full of Thieves" and an assumption on your part that I have been there one time.

Well then what did you mean by this statement?

"Yes you are correct just leave your wallet and jewerly in your room safe.... And if you don't mind being harrassed by street peddlers selling junk and eating in non-air conditioned places then that is the place you need to be.... "

or these?

IMO go with a resort that is "all inclusive" unless you want to eat the local food YUK!

"Cozumel is trashy outside of the beach areas. Depends on what one is used to..."

"...there is a difference between us I do not and will not go into trashy areas nor will I eat in some of the hole in the wall places in Cozumel..."

"...When I go out to eat I like to be waited on and catered to. A nice atmosphere that is clean and upscale is also important."

"I took my parents there in December of 2003 and my father was being followed down the street by a drug dealer trying to sell him a bag of weed. Oh, but no worries blend with the locals and buy their weed....Every place has their bad and good areas as well as crime."

So I guess that makes Cozumel a horrendous dangerous place. Geesh...that happens all over Houston. By the way, I grew up in Houston...so yes, I am quite familiar with it too.

gooystan:
Regardless, for someone to have the impression that there is no crime and that every restuarant is the most wonderful place is ridiculus. You are making this place out to be like Hawaii boy are you mistaken...Hawaii it is not.

I didn't say there was NO crime, I said it was safer than most US cities, which is a fact. The crime we do have on Cozumel is petty theft and very, very, very few violent crimes...even the violent crimes are typically domestic related.

Who said ANYTHING about Hawaii? By the way, I lived in Hawaii for awhile too, so I am well aware of the differences...and there was far more crime in Hawaii than in Cozumel.

goofystan:
It is deceitful for you to create an impression of a wonderful place with no crime and no concerns to others. No matter where one is visiting they must be aware of their surroundings. Not walk around with their head in the clouds. I am a traveler and have been all over the world. Respect for the locals is not an issue with me. Nor is it an issue to learn about their culture. Maybe you should go to the middle east and put a vail over your head and follow your man from behind and accept servitude...Putting a vail over your head is exactly what you will be doing if you go to Cozumel (or any other place) with the expectation that is going to be nothing less then the Garden of Eden (impression your portraying).

Deceitful? HAHA...whatever. Again, I never said there was absolutley no crime...I said it is safer here than most US cities...and I'll add other parts of Mexico and other countries.

I'm not bothering with this thread anymore.

Ok, Ok, I was just trying to make this thread more interesting. Besides if I did not say what I did the requestor would not have received enough information about Cozumel. Just rattling your cage guys... Here is some additional information.

CRIME - almost unheard of on the island. You're safe walking on Cozumel most anywhere, anytime. Still, take sensible precautions... as you would anywhere. Don't leave valuables lying around, and don't flash large amounts of cash in public. Your hotel has a safe-deposit service for your valuables - take advantage of this, for your own peace of mind. There may be a nominal charge for the use of in-room safes.

Yes, the food is safe and wonderful. The Southeast region of Mexico is well known for it´s cuisine where many dishes have been derived from the Mayan recipes. Apart from the Mexican foods, Cozumel offers a wide variety of international menus to choose from. A good rule is, if the restaurant does not look clean, do not eat there. Be adventurous, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ahhh...the troll revealed!

We just back from Cozumel (4th trip). We like the all inclusives. We stayed at the Reef Club this time (we wanted cheap). dove with Blue Angel. Had a Jr. Suite - it was perfect, no complaints. They have everything you need. Food, drinks, room, beach and pools were great. and there are Jet Skis right there on the beach. $55 for 1/2 hour. Blue Angel was great, last year we dove with Sand Dollar (thats the Reef Clubs, dive shop (they were okay). Blue Angel only takes 4-8 divers-really nice! Last year stayed at the Fiesta Americana, its nice too. also the Allegro - same as the Reef Club, but cost more. Dove with Dive w/Martin, they are good too, small operation. (they are always better). email me if you want anymore info
dasz4@frontiernet.net

SamMan:
Hello,

My wife and i have decided to take a vacation to Cozumel. We are just about to get our open water cert and are trying to decide on a vacation package. We would like to stay at a resort where we can rent jet skis and is easily accessible to dive areas we might like to try. Any ideas on resort accomodations?

I appreciate any advice offered.

thanks in advance,
Shawn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom