Uwatec SmartCom v. Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am upgrading from an old Aladin Pro and I am considering the new SmartCom or the Suunto Cobra which I recently looked at while on a dive vacation in Cayman. Any input would be appreciated, especially concerning usability, comparison of algorithms (which is more/less conservative), etc. I dive regularly, not just on vacations, and mostly in colder water. Thanks.

i love me computer( cobra) for the past 2 years never broke always in good condition

very good purchase. in quebec 900$$:)

I have one on order since December and am looking forward to getting it. I've been diving UWATEC for five or so years and wouldn't change for anything. Now with no lockouts and back light, well what can I say...

Go UWATEC!!!

When did this happen? That is great... What happens if you violate it, is it similar to Suunto in that it goes into gauge mode?

Thanks for the update!
Lisa :)

I have the Cobra and love it. Must say tho the programming isn't exactly self intuitive. I don't think i'm using all the features, but it sure is nice and clear to see when underwater. I have dove in BC (cold water) and Hawaii with it and it has been totally reliable. I am not sure exactly how many dives it has been through - at at least 20. I have a had it for just under 2 years. Replaced the battery just recently, only cuz i'm conservative not cuz is said it needed one.:)

Cobra-- it flat out looks cool. Functionality is a bit cumbersome at first but once you are familiar with it it works great.

Originally posted by Lisa M
When did this happen? That is great... What happens if you violate it, is it similar to Suunto in that it goes into gauge mode?

Thanks for the update!
Lisa :)

Not only does it have a gage mode, you can select it if for some reason you wanted to...

The Smart Com is possibly the most advanced and safest dive computer on the market. However it is not on the shelf yet. I have had one ordered for a couple months. If you are not in a hurry I think it would be worth the wait. If you would like to check it out here is a link to the Smart Com page at the UWATEC site. Once there just click on Smart Com.

It is suppose to be availabe in Spring 2002. Mine is not in yet but I expect it anytime.

Hope this is of help.

Tom

Just curious, you say the Uwatec Smartcom is the:

"...most advanced and safest dive computer on the market."

...do you think it is better than the new Suunto Vyatec and if so why?

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts!

Rick

It wasn't my post and I don't know about the viper but the Smartcom is advanced. There are five selectable levels of microbuble supression and on the air integrated model increased breathing activity is figured into the deco computation. Also it does 1% steps of NITROX mix and is backlit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom