UW Metal Detector is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if it's really worth getting an underwater metal detector? you spend $1500 find some cool stuff maybe some old coins, but if your caught with them here in New Brunswick with out proper papers, you can have what you found taken away. Because it's considered historic property.... Also, can you really make back the $1500 from finding rings and other jewlery people lost???

We treasure hunt all summer long on the 1715 wreaks off Florida's Sebastin coast. Is it worth it? Well we are a lot poorer for trying, but when I look at a few of the items we've found and knowing that no one has looked at or touched it for 300 years, yeah, its worth it.
As for coins (non-rare modern), rings, etc. we find some and again, its not going to add up to the cost of the machine.
I find diving empty handed (ie: no metal detector) to be somewhat boring. But with a metal detector each swing of the coil could bring something of great interest! A small token from a long lost person, an anchor, a spent bullet, whatever, each has a history and that blip in your earphone brings excitement! Fishing lures, lunch buckets, lawn chairs, boat parts, all have a story.
Since you are most likely diving in fresh water the things you will find will most likely be in better shape. Old bottles, are also neat to find. How will a metal detector find old bottles? Well, some had lead foil around the neck, some will be found near metal caps, or other objects tossed in by the same person. If you're interested check out www.kellyco.com
they offer a wide selection of machines. :fish:

Firediver:
I was wondering if it's really worth getting an underwater metal detector? .............. Also, can you really make back the $1500 from finding rings and other jewlery people lost???

The short answer is nope. That being said, I have two of them, a Fisher aquanaut and an impulse. Kellyco in Florida has the best prices, $1500 is way high, even with the exchange rate.

One of these days that beep won't be a nail, bottle cap, cigarette wrapper, pop top, hair pin, needle, bullet, bird shot or peice of wire.

Metal detectorists have to be the biggest optimists in the world.

Thanks for the correct URL for kellyco I live but 1/2 mile from KellyCo so I really don't use the website. Thanks again MgicTwnger (by the way your name doesn't have anything to do with a frog does it?)

metaldector:
Thanks again MgicTwnger (by the way your name doesn't have anything to do with a frog does it?)
Yep, as in "Pluck you magic twanger, Froggy". You just dated yourself.

Thanks. I mostly DIve Salt water, but the Saint John River has lots to offer from old dump sites to Old Fort Nashwaak. Spanish eights, Musket balls, canon balls have been found. The metal detector I priced came from Phils boat shop here in Fredericton. He wanted $1500CND for it. Also the Garret Detector worked out to around the same price canadian plus shipping and handling..."Sea hunter" I think it was.. So metal detecting definitly won't make you rich or maybe someday it will... Maybe I can try one out first. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

I was wondering if it's really worth getting an underwater metal detector? you spend $1500 find some cool stuff maybe some old coins, but if your caught with them here in New Brunswick with out proper papers, you can have what you found taken away. Because it's considered historic property.... Also, can you really make back the $1500 from finding rings and other jewlery people lost???

Sorry to intrude on your territory. I don't dive. Just wanted to comment on the metal detector issue. No you probably won't get rich. I have 2 land detectors and have a fun time searching for history. My oldest find is a 1863 penny. Think about it. Abe Lincoln was killed in 1864. Who knows where that penny could have been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom