UW Color Filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot folks. Sorry about your flood Andy!

Looks like Magic Filter is the way to go for times I know I will want to keep it on for the whole dive, even though Andrea's issues with customer service are not encouraging! Makes sense that wide would be better for video. Kinda wish I had bought the 10 Bar after reading this, although I read (thanks Ocean Optical) that the Zen is a better dome.

I just got back from Grand Cayman and used this filter 52MMBW Equinox 52mm Salt Water/ Blue Water Color Filter added to my 9-18 mm lens on the E-PL1 to shoot pix of the Kittiwake. I also used the Zen dome.

I was pleased with the results.

800-Cayman-2011-2020399.jpg

800-Cayman-2011-2020338.jpg

800-Cayman-2011-2019696.jpg

800-Cayman-2011-2020337.jpg

A strobe would have been useless in this situation.
.. more pix @ Grand Cayman 2011

Last edited:
Wow, really, really nice shots Frank!!

My Zen dome arrived today. Nice chunk of glass, definitely a wider view (though not as dramatic as I had expected), and definitely cleans up the distortion around the edges. Looks pretty badass too :)

I have (since starting this thread) started shooting raw, and although so far I have only tested in a pool, I am blown away at the complete latitude you have over white balance after the fact. Does shooting in raw mitigate the need for any filtering? Won't help when you switch to video, I realize, but I am wondering if I even need a filter now.

Off to Cozumel in a couple of weeks, with just the 9-18, plus Panny 20mm for topside. I bought the camera with the long lens kit, which unfortunately won't go in the housing, so I will be all wide angle, all the time. I am holding out for the 14-42 that comes with the e-pl2, then hopefully I can try some macro.

Can't wait to see if this new rig improves my shots over my little P&S or if I just wasted a whole tentload of cash on all this (I made the stupid mistake of adding it all up this week :wink: :shakehead:

Here a picture of the old and new rigs, quite a departure! The Canon housing is about the same size as the (already small) YS-01 strobe!

5437220034_d6eec39899.jpg

If anyone has any last minute advice on general handling/strobe setup/strobe placement/camera setup tips etc, I am all ears.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh. My. God. Frank, I just looked at the rest of the photos in your gallery from this trip. I am totally floored. You are highly skilled and have an amazing eye. Jaw-dropping stuff. Wow. How are you doing the macro? 14-42 alone, or with 67mm adapter + wet diopter? After seeing those I am considering getting a second hand first version 14-42 for this trip. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
..Can't wait to see if this new rig improves my shots over my little P&S or if I just wasted a whole tentload of cash on all this (I made the stupid mistake of adding it all up this week :wink: :shakehead:
I'm sure it will, but it may take a few dives.. I didn't use manual on my first dive trip with the camera, but got decent shots (Borneo). The second trip was this last one to Grand Cayman and the camera was on manual 99% of the time. maybe threw away more shots but got enough decent ones as well.

..Here a picture of the old and new rigs, quite a departure! The Canon housing is about the same size as the (already small) YS-01 strobe! If anyone has any last minute advice on general handling/strobe setup/strobe placement/camera setup tips etc, I am all ears. Thanks!

if you haven't already done so , check out this site.. Chapter Index - Guide to Underwater Photography|Underwater Photography Guide

..How are you doing the macro? 14-42 alone, or with 67mm adapter + wet diopter? After seeing those I am considering getting a second hand first version 14-42 for this trip. Thanks for sharing.
It was a combo, most of the really closeup stuff (blennies, gobies, Peterson shrimp, etc) was with 14-42 with an INON UCL-165M67 lens attached. but a lot of it was actually done with the 14-42 without the close-up lens and even the 9-18mm in the dome can get you close enough to get some macro-ish shots.

Thanks for the complements.. much appreciated.

Thanks a lot folks. Sorry about your flood Andy!

Looks like Magic Filter is the way to go for times I know I will want to keep it on for the whole dive, even though Andrea's issues with customer service are not encouraging! Makes sense that wide would be better for video. Kinda wish I had bought the 10 Bar after reading this, although I read (thanks Ocean Optical) that the Zen is a better dome.

I would guess that one issue with customer service is Alex who created them is based in the U.K and has been in G.C for the last month. How ever you can get them from reefphoto for the same price. Which would be easier and faster I am sure.

....I have (since starting this thread) started shooting raw, and although so far I have only tested in a pool, I am blown away at the complete latitude you have over white balance after the fact. Does shooting in raw mitigate the need for any filtering? Won't help when you switch to video, I realize, but I am wondering if I even need a filter now..
RAW is great and the way to go, but I believe that you still can improve your pictures by using a filter if a strobe is not an option. Ideally you want to get a starting image that has a good balance of Red, Green & Blue. If you start with a more neutral image by using a filter, you stand a better chance of getting to the ideal balance without going to the extremes of the sensor.

If you will forgive one more n00b question, which sort of gets back to my original one: is it possible to use attach the equinox filter for use in the shallows (I am guessing <40' or 50' or so, looking at the kittywake), and still use strobes when deeper with the filter still on?

I guess I am essentially asking can you white balance with the strobes through the filter?

..I guess I am essentially asking can you white balance with the strobes through the filter?
If you use RAW and monitor your histogram, you should be able to color correct for the filter
Here is an example inside the Kittiwake.

original-with-filter-and-strobe-no-cc.jpg
orange200.jpg

With strobe and orange filter right from camera. There is still enough blue to work with (bring back in).

with-color-correction-with-filter-and-strobe.jpg
balanced-1.jpg

After a simple color correction using dropper in lightwave.

I would not have my filter on if I didn't need it for either video or the really wide shots.

BTW, These mirrors are quickly losing their coating and I expect they may have only a couple of weeks left as mirrors.

Seems like the best of both worlds - very cool. Thanks for the screenshots.

No issues using the 14-42 behind the zen dome, right? (apart from obviously not being able to use the Inon macro). If I do get a 14-42 before I leave, which I probably will as they are under $100 on ebay, it would be nice if I didn't have to switch ports every time I switched the lens.

Thanks so much for all the great info, it's much appreciated. Saw some of your videos on Vimeo, including the birthday reel. Looks like you have made quite a habit of making the most of life. A tip o' the hat to you, sir :wink:

Back
Top Bottom