LUMIX 7-14mm Vario on Oly E-M10 Mark IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking at getting this lens to use in Fiji on the Beqa Lagoon shark dive. It would be used with an AOI 8” dome on an Olympus E-M10 Mark IV. One of my main concerns though is that looking at older reviews on the lens there were numerous comments about purple blobs appearing in shots. This apparently was common when this lens was used on Olympus bodies. I saw in one article though that this issue had been corrected in new Olympus bodies. Is anyone using this lens and having the problem? Is it even worth getting or should I just go the Oly 9-18 route?

I was looking at getting this lens to use in Fiji on the Beqa Lagoon shark dive. It would be used with an AOI 8” dome on an Olympus E-M10 Mark IV. One of my main concerns though is that looking at older reviews on the lens there were numerous comments about purple blobs appearing in shots. This apparently was common when this lens was used on Olympus bodies. I saw in one article though that this issue had been corrected in new Olympus bodies. Is anyone using this lens and having the problem? Is it even worth getting or should I just go the Oly 9-18 route?
?? Purple blobs are usually from backscatter caused by having strobes too close to the lens.

?? Purple blobs are usually from backscatter caused by having strobes too close to the lens.

In this case, from what I’ve been reading, it had to do with an internal Olympus UV filter not blocking out sufficient wavelength. So in some instances, especially with bright light, there will be a purple blob or haze. It doesn’t happen all the time and some say it never happened to them but with the 7-14mm it is documented.

I was using the Panasonic 7-14 on Oly EM5II and EM1II. Nauticam housing with 60mm N85/N120 adapter and Zen DP170 (N120 version)...

I had no problems with "purple blobs". Few times, when making the photo against the light, flare (sometimes purple) appeared, seemed to me normal behaviour...

=> I was not overly impressed by this lens and did not take it often.

I would recommend Tokina 10-17mm fisheye with Metabones 0.71x and 1x adapter behind Zen DP100. Much more compact and better IQ...

Wolfgang

In this case, from what I’ve been reading, it had to do with an internal Olympus UV filter not blocking out sufficient wavelength. So in some instances, especially with bright light, there will be a purple blob or haze. It doesn’t happen all the time and some say it never happened to them but with the 7-14mm it is documented.
LOL. "documented" and verified/true are not the same thing.

LOL. "documented" and verified/true are not the same thing.

In this case, documented includes pictures showing it to be true.

In this case, documented includes pictures showing it to be true.
I believe there are purple blobs. I'm skeptical of the explanation for the blobs. Can you show the pix, or li k to them?

This was from a quick search. There are numerous article that referenced it however, they are all older articles and only deal with above water shots. I’m looking for someone who has experienced it underwater. Two different people have told me they have never had it happen underwater. Both have also said they were not completely thrilled with the lens either.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 30
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back